Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
DHarper
Lurker
Liked: never

Network traffic between SOBR Performance and Capacity Tier

Post by DHarper »

My environment:

Site A and B that are separate physical locations connected by dark fiber
Site A has our Veeam environment of B&R 10, Gateway, and Proxies (Windows VMs)
Site B consists of a SOBR with a performance tier (SMB) and capacity tier (Object Storage)

I understand that when SOBR Offload occurs, it's copying data from the performance tier to the capacity tier, but does that network traffic have to traverse back to Site A (since our Veeam environment is located at Site A) or does it stay at Site B?

Thanks!!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Network traffic between SOBR Performance and Capacity Tier

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

it depends where you configured the gateway server. The SMB machine (whatever it is) cannot talk directly to S3. Only Veeam components can do that.

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: having all backups in one site is a risk... see 3-2-1 rule
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi @DHarper,

Overall, in your case, network traffic is traversed back to site A anyways as backup components need to respond to VBR on query status, progress etc.
The question is how backup data traffic is routed.
Given the fact that you have SMB shares on Performance Tier and gateway usage is disabled for Object storage repository on Capacity Tier,
during SOBR offload backup data traffic goes the way: SMB | Site B -> Gateway Server (for SMB) | Site A -> Object Storage | Site B

Best regards,
Oleg
DHarper
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by DHarper »

HannesK wrote: Mar 06, 2020 8:13 am PS: having all backups in one site is a risk... see 3-2-1 rule
Thank you for your help. The Object Storage at Site B has another node at Site A that it replicates to. I know the environment isn't optimal, but it's what I have to live with at the moment. :D
oleg.feoktistov wrote: Mar 06, 2020 11:11 am Given the fact that you have SMB shares on Performance Tier and gateway usage is disabled for Object storage repository on Capacity Tier,
during SOBR offload backup data traffic goes the way: SMB | Site B -> Gateway Server (for SMB) | Site A -> Object Storage | Site B
Thank you, that makes perfect sense. Would I be correct that if I added a Gateway at Site B and configured SMB to use it, the backup data traffic would stay at Site B?

Thanks again,
DHarper
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Would I be correct that if I added a Gateway at Site B and configured SMB to use it, the backup data traffic would stay at Site B?
Yes, that is correct. Also, make sure the gateway you use for SMB has internet access.
Thanks!
Oleg