Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jsull
Influencer
Liked: never

Object storage for beginners

Post by jsull »

I'm testing object storage (specifically Wasabi) as last-resort ransomware protection for selected VMs. I've got it working with a new SOBR and copy job, and I'm getting confused looking at restore points, retention, etc. How can I set things up to retain a certain number of restore points on the S3 storage only? We have separate backup copy jobs to our own offsite repository.
I've seen some other threads here discussing this, but I'd love an Idiot's Guide step-by-step.
(It would be cool if an S3 bucket could be just another repository, but it sounds like that's just not an option.)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-John
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Object storage for beginners

Post by Gostev »

1. Create the dedicated SOBR for those VMs, and enable Copy policy on the Capacity Tier step.
2. Create a Backup Copy job for those selected VMs with the required retention (just a few restore point).
3. Point this Backup Copy job to the dedicated SOBR.
jsull
Influencer

Post by jsull »

Thanks Gostev. I appreciate it.
JZTOR
Service Provider
Full Name: Joseph Zinguer

Post by JZTOR »

Are any recommendations available for the "Cool" vs "Hot" Azure blob tier choosing with v10 option enabled "Copy new backup files as soon as these files are created"?
Only testing restore tasks once or twice per year are considered.
Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Normally, colder tiers are best for Move policy configured to grab GFS backups only. At least this was the case with AWS when I looked at it closely, but I assume economics is no different with Azure.

Copy policy processes every backup, so there's lots of churn/changes - which are more expensive with colder tiers.
JZTOR
Service Provider
Full Name: Joseph Zinguer

Post by JZTOR »

Thank you. Good points. It will be interesting to hear from the community the cost and object storage usage utilization examples/details when more companies will use new v10 feature with both cool and hot Azure storage tears.