Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jhabers
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Habers

Possible to export directly from Wasabi bucket from different server?

Post by jhabers »

I have a Veeam server at a customers site. They are doing backups directly to a Wasabi bucket that I manage. Is it possible for me to spin up a separate Veeam server and connect it to that bucket to export some backups?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Possible to export directly from Wasabi bucket from different server?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Only if you put the repository on the customer server in maintenance mode. If you try it, then you get a message box about that. That's probably not a realistic scenario
user guide wrote:Only one backup server must interact with an object storage repository. If you want to perform disaster recovery testing, you can add the object storage repository to another backup server. However, on the initial backup server, you must switch the object storage repository to the maintenance mode. Otherwise, metadata on the object storage can get corrupted or out of sync, and you will not be able to restore data.
Best regards,
Hannes
jhabers
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Habers

Post by jhabers »

Any plans to be able to change this? Maybe put the conection on the second server is some sort of "read only" mode?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
sorry, the user guide refers to the pre-V12 capacity tier. Maintenance mode does not exist for standalone repositories.

Overall, the answer is still correct. Only one backup server can access a bucket. You can "take it over" (message box appears), but then the other backup server cannot access it and you have to take it over again in production to continue.

Yes, there ideas to improve this. But I cannot provide any timeline.

Best regards,
Hannes