Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Question on deletions

Post by backupquestions »

Using v10 with cumulative patch 2. I did call and open a ticket for my question and their answer was not real definitive. Essentially it was "try and see" as they don't know for sure what would happen. So I was just hoping for a clear answer here. I do understand as they said how object storage is newer and they weren't sure on whether I can even remove one vm from it by itself, or if Veeam will be able to delete the data from both performance and capacity tier etc. (ticket was 04205102) I did have them close the ticket as there is no real issue here, just a question about functionality.

From home-->backups-->disk (copy) I have a job here. I am using per vm backup files so each vm has its own chain. I have a VM which is no longer in this job and this job goes to a SOBR. Most of the data is all out in object storage for this particular vm.

I want to right click this VM and choose "delete from disk" and then select "delete gfs backups also". My expectation is that this would remove all data both local and from object storage for this vm and this vm only.

I am afraid to do it because there are several important vms with very long retention in object storage in this same job. I only want to remove the one....

So am I safe to do this, since I have per vm chains and it lets me right click that VM and say delete? I will also note that I am aware I can set the deleted items retention in the backup job itself, but I'm afraid to use this option because we keep very long retention and if we made a new vm that is a mirror of an older vm, we might still want files from the previous VM. So I'd rather leave this feature off and manually just go delete one VM if we are sure we will never need files restored from older backups of it..
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Question on deletions

Post by veremin »

My expectation is that this would remove all data both local and from object storage for this vm and this vm only.
Correct. You aren't using the immutability feature, are you? Thanks!
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

I am not, as Wasabi is still working on their S3 object lock api compatibility I guess. Ok, I will give it a shot. Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, nothing would prevent you from removing VM data from both Perfomance and Capacity tiers. Feel free to use "Remove from Disk" option on the given VM. Thanks!