Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Ransomware feature?

Post by Novox »

@gostev, a while back, in a Veeam Community Forums Digest, I recall you "teasing" new ransomware protections or features in an upcoming version of Veeam.

Two questions. Is this new feature related to NAS Backup? Can you tell us any more about this new feature?

I wish I could find the original digest in which you mention it...

Thank you,
~Bill
Novox
Expert

Re: Ransomware feature?

Post by Novox »

Found it, it was June 17-June 23, 2019: "In my mind, I quietly applauded to this cheap and elegant solution of blending tape right into their existing backup strategy – which is to remain largely the same, but now augmented with air-gapped copies of their latest backups. It really is brilliant, and this is also a truly universal approach - something any IT shop out there can afford implementing! Also, that explicit focus on only the latest backups was especially appealing to me, because these are exactly the backups you want that extra level of 100% bulletproof protection for. No spoilers – but we're actually working on something along the same lines that will not even require tape and is arguably better anyway - but unlike tape, it will not be suitable for everyone. Sorry for leaving you wondering, but I can promise you will be the first to hear details here once we're ready to disclose this new technology later this year."

Eagerly awaiting details :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

It is a new feature related to our object storage integration... attend VeeamON Virtual this week (November 20th) to find out :D
Novox
Expert

Post by Novox »

Thank you @gostev. I signed up for VeamON Virtual, but will need to attend remotely and cannot attend all day. Might you be able to indicate which part of the agenda would cover this?

Thanks again.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

This should be in v10 session. In any case, everything will be recorded and available for later viewing by everyone who registered. Thanks!