Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Goepi
Novice
Liked: never

Rescan of imported bacups from Azure Blob Storage

Post by Goepi »

Hi,

I'm trying to test our disaster recovery plan on a freshly installed Veeam server and I have a small issue:

I've connected the capacity tiers from our SOBRs and did import the backups - This works well without a problem.

But how do you rescan the cloud storage to add newly created backups? If you right click on the connected/imported storage there is only an option to detach the storage...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sebastian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Rescan of imported bacups from Azure Blob Storage

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sebastian,

Just to make sure I understand your scenario > you've imported backups from cloud storage and now want rescan something else?

Thanks!
Goepi
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Goepi »

Hi Vitaly,

yes, I've imported the backups like you've linked in the manual.

Now I would like to rescan this particular Object Storage for any new backups which were created since the last import and import them also into the DB.

Is this possible or do I have to detach the repository and import it again?

My goal is that I want to import the backups once a week, so that in case of a disaster I just have to import the last 6 days in the worst case instead of all the indexes of 90+TB of backups.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

do I have to detach the repository and import it again?
This, as simultaneous access of multiple backup servers to a single object storage repository is not intended or supported. You either use object storage repository as a Capacity Tier normally, or you import backups from it in the disaster situation. But it cannot be both at the same time. Thanks!
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

[MERGED] Import Capacity Tier on different Veeam Deployment

Post by vertices »

Let's say there are 2 completely separate Veeam deployments, VEEAM1 and VEEAM2. VEEAM1 is uploading to S3 storage on capacity tier. On the VEEAM2 deployment, if it adds that same S3 storage, not as a capacity tier, but simply to be able to import backups to be able to have visibility to them, or in an emergency, pull them down to virtualize on that deployment, does that affect the use of that that S3 storage in any way by the original VEEAM1 deployment using it as a capacity tier?

So in other words, does importing backups from a different capacity tier in use by a different deployment, affect the original deployments use of that tier at all? Or can it still happily upload to it and use it, even though a different Veeam server imported them?
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Re: Import Capacity Tier on different Veeam Deployment

Post by vertices »

Well shoot. I went ahead and tried it crossing my fingers I wouldn't break anything. It seems when you import VMs from object storage it's a one-time thing. I don't even see a way to refresh it. There's no re-scan or anything like that and it's still only showing backups from yesterday.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Import Capacity Tier on different Veeam Deployment

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, import is a one-time operation to bring backup files online and make those visible to the backup server. We have merged your post into existing discussion, it should clarify your question. Thanks!