Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

resolv and trusted certificate with id.. not found errors

Post by ober72 »

Hi Folks,

Case#03551046
I am doing some in house testing of the capacity tier. I have run into an interesting problem. I have 2 scaleout repositories. I have added an S3 compatible capacity tier repository for both.

The first one works fine. Automatic and manual offload tiering jobs run fine. Also downloading/copying back to the performance tier (re-hydrating) work fine as well. However when I go through the properties of the capacity repository it errors with the message "trusted certificate with ID...... could not be found". If I run through the properties of the scaleout repository that it belongs to it completes successfully. Again all jobs run fine.

For the second scaleout repository the capacity tier is added without error, and I can run through the properties of both the capacity tier S3 repository and the scaleout repository without error. But the offload/tiering job fails with "host unknown error" in the logs right after resovling RPC.

This could be something that I have not setup properly on the load balancer which is doing the ssl termination but I am not sure.

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: resolv and trusted certificate with id.. not found errors

Post by veremin »

The debug logs will shed the light on the issue experienced. So, keep working with your support engineer. Thanks!
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

update,

My suspicion is that the problem is with my scaleout and not the S3 storage. Since I connected that repository to another S3 test setup and I got the same result. Support have asked questions about the performance tier and not the capacity tier so I am guessing that they are headed in the same direction as me right now.

cheers
Geoff Burke
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Update,

I created another scaleout repository and that one works as well. So my first issue must have had something to do with one of my test scaleout repositories (windows 2008R2, NTFS).

So now offload and download back jobs both work for both repositories.

The only strange thing is the "trusted certificate with id.. could not be found error" that I get on both S3 repositories when I try to run through their properties.

Running through the properties of the scaleout repositories works fine.

These scaleouts are using the same account on S3 compatible storage but are targeting different buckets (Could I have just had them target separate folders inside the same bucket?).

cheers
Geoff Burke
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 » 1 person likes this post

Heads up folks,

The issue with the second scaleout I figured out and was a dns resolution problem. If you don't use a gateway server to access capacity tier then all the repos must have connectivity and of course the ability to resolve the dns of the S3 storage.

The trusted certificate with id..... was not found error however support think might be a veeam database issue and they will look at today.

cheers
Geoff Burke
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 » 1 person likes this post

:)... yes so true, and how many times I have forgotten.

Again nice to know that the software both veeam and the S3 are working beautifully and it is only my human head that needs the bug test and update :)

cheers
Geoff Burke
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 » 2 people like this post

Update,

Veeam support came in and took a look at the database and that certificate was simply not there. In the end we added the S3 storage back and all worked well. Most likely something went awry during my tests. The funny thing was that everything continued to work even with the issue. Things now are fine and the issue has not re-appeared after numerous operations.

A side note about veeam support. I took the opportunity to throw in a bunch of questions regarding the S3 and capacity tier since I am putting this into production very soon. I have dealt with companies where the response is "sorry sir that really is a separate case, but hey I can open the ticket for you and put you back in line"... i.e. in Canadian hockey language passing the puck to someone still sitting on the bench.. But Veeam support not only answered the questions but offered some extra pointers. The result is that I can go to my management and say with confidence that I trust the software but just as important I trust the guys supporting this software to go the full distance and then some!. Thanks, makes my job much easier. :)
Geoff Burke