Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
donmatlock
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Don Matlock

Restore from Azure assistance

Post by donmatlock »

Hello,
I have been tasked with taking over the backups of our organization , coming from the networking side this is a little daunting, but very do-able:)
My question is, I need to test whether the back ups in Azure can be pulled down and restored to a working VM, looking at the FAQ's and videos on YouTube how to do this is quite daunting. I do have Veeam backing up to Azure and have been doing so for some time, now I just simply wish to test whether these copies are viable in a DR situation.
Is there a link to accomplish this from scratch?
I appreciate all responses
Thank you,
Don
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Restore from Azure assistance

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Don,

If I understood correctly, you are using azure blob storage on capacity tier as a part of Scale-Out Repository and sending backups there from time to time. Now, if this is the case, you need to simulate the DR scenario, when your whole performance tier is not available.
The simplest way to do that is:
  • Initiate recovery from your azure blob under Home > Backups > Object Storage section
Thanks,
Oleg
donmatlock
Novice

Post by donmatlock »

Thank you Oleg, that is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. Any chance there is a guide to accomplish this?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

@donmatlock, well, currently it's more like an undocumented life hack :D
So, you would need to use maintenance mode on your performance extents as I mentioned above and start any type of recovery
as described here. Since we are simulating DR scenario when no performance extents are available, the relevant section is
Unavailability of Scale-Out Backup Repository.

Hope that helps!
Oleg
donmatlock
Novice

Post by donmatlock »

Thank you, we have a few items ahead of this, but will circle back in due time to try it out:)
donmatlock
Novice

Post by donmatlock »

Hi Oleg,
Was able to successfully do a test using Azure restore, just doing my documentation, but cant seem to pinpoint and what triggers an upload to the cloud whether it is incremental or full. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You mean when the backup server starts offloading data to the object storage? If so, then, it depends on the policy configured on the Capacity Tier: Move or Copy. Thanks!
donmatlock
Novice

Post by donmatlock »

Thanks Veremin for the reply, it just seems random when it syncs, very weird time it reports this as being done, wonder where the setting is that triggers this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

There's no setting: copy policy syncs immediately, move policies scans for offload candidates every 4 hours (there's simply no reason to offload a backup the same second it leaves the operation restores window). On top of that, you should of course consider available task slots on the repository, because offload is the lowest priority task.