Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

restore from object storage

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

I have implemented a back-up job with archive backups in it. This will offload to an object storage capacity tier within a SOBR. backing up and offloading is perfect and I see high outgoing bandwidth usage.
Now we did a restore of an archived object storage backup ( listed in backups > object storage ), and we would think the incoming bandwidth would be heavily utilized. However this is not the case.

Can anyone explain how the data communication between veeam components when restoreing directly from object storage ? In the resource manager we don't see any connection to the object storage when doing a file level restore of 10GB.

thanks !
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: restore from object storage

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

Sure,
One of the cool things we do to save money and bandwidth is that we will always look locally for the data before pulling data back from object. So what you are seeing is that we are restoring the data from the performance tier before we try to pull data from object.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Nice,

we have invested in a high bandwidth solution and where very delighted that the upload was incredibly fast. However we were disappointed that the inbound traffic was minimal ;)

Also tested to delete some backup files, but then there is a warning that the object files will also be deleted. Can you delete local files and leave archived W/M/Q/Y in the objectstorage tier ?

We are now looking for a way to test the performance of the inbound traffic when restoring directly from object storage. What is the best way to test this ?
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 121 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes » 1 person likes this post

You can put the performance tier extents in maintenance mode and that will force VBR to restore the data from the capacity tier’s object storage.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

lowlander wrote: Oct 29, 2020 12:29 amAlso tested to delete some backup files, but then there is a warning that the object files will also be deleted. Can you delete local files and leave archived W/M/Q/Y in the objectstorage tier?
No. But I remember writing this warning you're talking about, and it should also specifically suggest that if you want to get rid of local files in the Performance Tier, but keep them in the Capacity Tier - you should use Move to Capacity Tier option in the Backup Properties instead. Can you please try deleting backups, again and see if you get this text? Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

If I remember correctly this option is only available when archived backups are listed in the object storage. I will update this after one or two weeks ;)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

I think we've found the bug in message logic - the extended message Anton's talking about is not shown in cases when you remove backup chain with GFS restore points in it. The bug has been tracked and will be fixed in one of the next product versions. Thanks!