Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
roleit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Role IT

Restore scenarios - backups on Object Storage

Post by roleit »

Hello,
I'm looking for scenario how to properly test virtual machines and physical machines backups on new machine (new enviromnent). Those backups are stored on Object Storage in Azure (production backups).
How should i Connect to those backups to restore them in bare metal machine (physical backup) or new machine with Veeam and hyper-v (virtual backup).

Scenario 1 (virtual machines)
1.Prepare new machine + install Veeam B&R 10 + hyper-v
2.Download backups from capacity tier to performance tier on production
3.Connect to downloaded backups (connect through network) from new machine and point to vbk and vib files and try to restore backup form that files.
4.Test virtual machine backups on new machine

Scenario 2 (virtual machines)
1. Prepare new machine + install Veeam B&R 10 + hyper-v
2. Add Scale out repo on new machine and connect to production storage account where backups are stored. I will connect to production backups, it is safe?
3. Test backups on new machine

Scenario 3. Bare metal recovery (physical machines)
How to test physical bakups that are stored on Object storage on bare metal machine?
1. Should i try connect through network to vbk, vib files?
2. Should i prepare two machine and connect theem by network cable?
3. Second machine I will boot from recovery media and I will connect to backups on Veeam B&R on first new machine?

Any advice much appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore scenarios - backups on Object Storage

Post by Gostev »

There's no need to set up SOBR or download all backups to performance tier (this may take a very long time). It will be much quicker to register an object storage repository pointing to your blob storage container, import backups from it and then perform restore directly from object storage. Check out the Veeam v10 launch recording, it was one of the demos.
roleit
Novice
Full Name: Role IT

Post by roleit »

So it is very simple. I just have to prepare new machine, install Veeam B&R V10 and import backups from Blob Storage? By import I mean I just need to connet to them (not to download). After that I can chose point that i need to restore for example restore entire vm ?

Byt what about restoring Physical machine on bare metal machine from the object storage?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You should be able to select imported backups on the backup server from the BMR environment as well, but I never tested this.
alex.mazurk
Lurker

[MERGED] SOBR Tiering question

Post by alex.mazurk »

I have setup SOBR tiering to be used as a disaster recovery for my company. What we want our plan to be is that if our main site goes down we can use the SOBR backup in azure to restore our infrastructure out there. I think my confusion stems from how someone would actually restore from the azure blob. I see in my completed backups that the SOBR tiering offload has completed.
Say if my entire site was down and I installed VBR on another computer, how would I restore the objects from the SOBR azure repository to azure?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alex,

You would need to import your object storage backup and then perform the restore.

Let me know if that answers your question!
alex.mazurk
Lurker

Post by alex.mazurk »

Hi,
So when I click to import my backup there are no options for that. All I have is Maintenance mode, Seal extent, and properties.
I thought I followed the instructions exactly how they were stated but I feel like I am missing an important step.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You're right-clicking on scale-out repository extents. They do not have Import functionality available, because all backups that are stored in SOBR will be automatically visible in your backup console.

In case of complete disaster (whole infrastructure goes down) you will need to:
* add object storage repository
* right-click on it
* select Import Backups

No SOBR creation of anything like that. In fact, SOBR is not even available in all product editions! While the disaster recovery process described above can be performed even with the free Community Edition.

Thanks!