Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
somoa
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Scale out Offload

Post by somoa »

Hi

I setup a new scaleout and it has been trying to offload backups for a week now.

One server has a full backup file offloading that gets stopped any time another backup kicks off. After the offload resumes it appears to restart from the beginning. So it appears like it will never complete.

If I look in "Backups > object storage" the server is not listed. I was expecting it to show here with an incomplete status.

Do I just need to give it more time or is it never going to complete if it can't upload the whole file in one go?

Case # 04825894
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Scale out Offload

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
If you have enough bandwidth, then it will finally work. If your bandwidth is too low, then it cannot work (we are bound to the laws of physics like anyone else :-))
I was expecting it to show here with an incomplete status.
"nothing" means "incomplete". Incomplete restore points are useless for restores. So we only show working restore points.

Best regards,
Hannes
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What object storage are you using? Chances are there is a device (enabled by provider) that allow you to seed backups to cloud, avoiding long initial transfer. Thanks!
somoa
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by somoa »

It is on AWS

So if the offload of a vbk file doesn't complete before any backup job it would never finish unless I find more bandwidth or maybe pause all backups?

In our case this is <24hours
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can wait and see whether it will eventually catch up or you can leverage AWS Snowball Edge to seed backups to S3 (avoiding long initial transfer). Thanks!