Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
pls
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Shields

Setup Copy Immediate SOBR

Post by pls »

We just upgraded to v10. We currently have a scale out backup repository that sends aged out backups to AWS. I would like to create a second SOBR and set it up to copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created. Is there a way to create the second SOBR that uses the same performance tier and capacity tier as the original SOBR? The reason for the second SOBR is so we can slowly transition copy backup jobs from aging out to capacity to immediate copy to capacity.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Setup Copy Immediate SOBR

Post by wishr »

Hi Phil,

You cannot utilize the same repositories to create several SOBRs. Why not simply enable both move and copy options on the existing SOBR, then disable copy mode once you are ready to transition?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The same repository cannot be added as an extent to several SOBRs. What do you mean by a 'slow' transition, is your intention to switch the jobs to a new SOBR gradually, to avoid a one-off massive offload?
pls
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Shields

Post by pls »

Two reasons. I would like to test with a single server before moving all of our backup copy jobs to copy immediate and yes I would like to avoid the one-off massive offload.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The only idea I have in mind is to gradually decrease the operational window, if applicable, and then, when you enable copy mode, only backup files that belong to the last active backup chain will be offloaded.