Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Shared memory connection has been forcibly closed by peer.

Post by NorthGuard »

I have configured B&R v11 to backup a single physical server locally and then immediately copy to Wasabi, using SOBR.

The job runs for a while and then fails with:
2/7/2022 9:29:24 AM :: Shared memory connection has been forcibly closed by peer.

I am using a separate backup box that has 8GB RAM and I can't really put more than that in it.

What causes this error and what are my options?

Also, is there a way to "resume" that failed portion of the backup?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Shared memory connection has been forcibly closed by peer.

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The best option is to open a support case and let our engineers to work on it, please don't forget to share a support case ID with us. Basically, automatic retry will look only for yet-to-be-transferred data and will copy it. You can try to decrease the number of tasks to run in parallel by changing the corresponding setting in object storage repository settings, it will allow you to reduce load level on primary repository as well.

Thanks!
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Post by NorthGuard »

Thanks. Opened a case yesterday and haven't received any real response yet.

case #: 05271675
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What do you mean by real response? Support engineer has not responded or something else? Also, feel free to escalate the ticket (talk to manager button within support portal), if you are not satisfied with the quality or time of response. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Honestly I'm not sure how escalating the case can help the simple fact that the System Requirements are not met... we're talking about all-in-one backup appliance carrying all the backup infrastructure roles and 8GB is nowhere near the required amount of RAM. Assuming 64-bit OS, simple math says it must be 16GB RAM at a bare minimum: backup server + backup proxy + backup repository + backup console requirements together.

And from the error we can see how lack of RAM makes a source data mover fail to pass data to a target data mover via the internal transport engine, which requires creating a shared memory buffer first.

What we're looking at here is an unsupported deployment: the product was simply never designed to work in such hardware conditions. From a technical perspective, it's similar to feeding a car engine with a pipette and saying "I can't really put more than that in it". The engine just won't run even on idle! So there's not too many options here except providing the sufficient amount of fuel to keep the engine running. Every engine documents this value in its specifications, just like we document the minimum required RAM.