Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
pab006
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Walsh

SOBR for offsite backup

Post by pab006 »

Hi All,

Apologies for the newbie question. We currently have 5 backup jobs, that cover all of our Virtual Machines. Each job has its own backup repository to a local Volume on the server, bar two small jobs which share a repository. Our SAN has limitations on the maximum volume size it will allow, which has caused problems, hence the separation from one big volume to 4 smaller ones. We are using Veeam V11 enterprise.

We have just purchased a chunk of cloud storage in Vmware Cloud Director. This storage uses immutability to help protect us from ransomware.

We want the backups to the local repositories to be our primary restore points, and falling back to the cloud if these aren't available for whatever reason. We want to keep the existing local backups and also have a copy in the cloud. We also want additional weekly backups (5) for each month on a rolling basis and finally one full every month for 12 months rolling in cloud.

I am told this is achievable, but I am unsure how to go about it.

Many thanks for your help.

Paul
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SOBR for offsite backup

Post by PetrM »

Hi Paul,

I believe you can configure GFS retention policy to get the desired number of Weekly and Monthly backups on the Performance Tier and to enable Copy policy for offloading data to the Capacity Tier.

Thanks!
pab006
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Walsh

Re: SOBR for offsite backup

Post by pab006 » 1 person likes this post

Perfect, many thanks