Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
scottf99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott

SOBR Offload Limit Copies

Post by scottf99 »

Hi. Is it possible to limit the number of copies offloaded to Capacity Tier "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created"? I dont need 365 days of backups in immutable storage, just enough to recover in a disaster where onprem backups are lost.
If the answer is no are there any other options or workarounds to just keep a weeks worth of backups offloaded to Capacity regardless of Performance Tier retention?
Cheers
Scott
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SOBR Offload Limit Copies

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
to answer your question: not today.

Please see the explanation here: post359631.html#p359631 - my colleagues also suggest workarounds with separate SOBR

Best regards,
Hannes
scottf99
Enthusiast

Post by scottf99 »

Thanks.
I thought I was getting a handle of this until I got Gostevs Forum Digest (which I love) email this morning. He mentioned not setting Object Lock for too long as you will end up with orphaned blocks but not too short because "some newly created block will also be used in future restore points". I added my S3 Capacity Tier with Object Lock to the SOBR that hosts my "second" backup copy that only has a retention of 7 days. I need all of the last 7 days of backups (Full plus 6 incremental) to be secured with Object Lock. So what do I do? Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I'm not sure I understand your question. The object lock setting does not change anything on the retention. If you configure 7 days immutability on a repository and you have for example a 30 days retention backup job, then there will be at least 30 days restore points in object storage.

The forum digest was about bucket level locks by the way. For Amazon S3, we use object level locks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Right, the digest recommends against using bucket-level lock as a workaround for S3 object storage that does not yet implement object-level lock. Amazon is definitely not one of them ;)
scottf99
Enthusiast

Post by scottf99 »

Thanks. Im not using Bucket Level lock. My confusion is the opposite of your example. If I configure 30 days immutability and only 7 days retention what happens to the old/aged out backups in AWS? Are they orphaned?
Using your example of 7 days immutability and 30 days retention. what happens (per the digest) if a block that never changes is uploaded on day 1 and ages 30 days BUT that block is required for the most recent incremental is it still immutable?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

If you’re immutability is set for 30 and your retention is 7 then your retention purge will fail until immutable timeframe has passed.

A block will remain on immutability status until it’s no longer used.

Here is the helpcenter guide about block generation

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
scottf99
Enthusiast

Post by scottf99 »

Thank you. I read that guide but missed this bit which is all important "Veeam Backup & Replication continues to keep reused/dependent blocks of data locked by continuously assigning them to new generations, thereby extending the immutability expiration period"

The guide showed examples of Forward Incremental with regular Fulls and Reverse Incremental but nothing for Forever Forward (one full and then only incremental). Does the guide (and immutability protection) still apply for Forever Forward?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, it also works with forever forward. But keep in mind, there is currently a bug with such backup modes without synthetic / active full (issue #7)
scottf99
Enthusiast

Post by scottf99 »

Thank you for mentioning that bug. I was aware of it and was wondering if it occurs under particular situations and when a public patch will be out
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

it always applies. please contact support to be informed about a patch / hotfix.