Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
lkmtech
Novice
Liked: never

SOBR to Azure Blob - enable encryption (retrospectively?)

Post by lkmtech »

Hi

I have been testing SOBR to Azure Blob for more than a week now and its proving to be quite an effective offering (adhere to 3-2-1 Rule)

One question I do have regarding security (please)

Azure provides Encryption at rest. However, Im wish to test "in transit" encryption, using Veeam.

I have completed some research. The Veeam KB mentions:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

If you enable encryption for an existing job, during the next job session Veeam Backup & Replication will create a full backup file. The created full backup file and subsequent incremental backup files in the backup chain will be encrypted with the specified password.

We are using the Reverse Incremental method.

If I enable Veeam encryption for an existing Backup job (writes to Performance Tier and Capacity Tier immediately). Will a FULL backup be performed ? to the Capacity Tier (Azure) This is NOT my preference, because of Azure transaction costs.

Thank you
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SOBR to Azure Blob - enable encryption (retrospectively?)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you care about transaction costs, then I recommend to chose an object storage provider without them. Wasabi and Backblaze are the most popular ones in the community.

Yes, the user guide is correct. You will get a new full backup that is encrypted then.

If you want Veeam to encrypt backups, then Veeam has to encrypt backups (stating the the obvious). That means, the software has to upload encrypted data again.

Best regards,
Hannes
lkmtech
Novice
Liked: never

Post by lkmtech »

Thank you Hannes for your response.

Yes, I did see the Wasabi price offer. Looks good, however I am also testing other Veeam functionality.

In particular "Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure" for DR restore functionality + Workload Migration (move on prem VM's to Azure, when needed). Therefore, it seems a better choice is to have the Storage Blob and Veeam Appliance, both in the same Azure subscription.

Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure cannot restore backups made by other Veeam products at this time, if this is what you're thinking.
ANY to Azure direct restore is currently the feature exclusive to the Veeam Backup & Replicaiton.