Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Skiver
Lurker
Liked: never

Storage Re-architecture questions

Post by Skiver »

Hi,

So I inherited this environment from a colleague so I don't fully know it as well as should right now but we're looking to make some changes between our backups going to the performance and capacity (cloud) tier.

The way this was set up was for a job to target a specific SOBR that is set up with performance tier storage SANs within our Datacentre and then a Capacity tier which is Amazon S3 storage so whatever is on disk is also uploaded to the cloud. What I ideally want to do is separate this so that we keep the local disk Synthetic backups but only copy a weekly Full to the cloud. From what I see this is definitely not possible with the current setup so I was assuming the first step is to set up a new SOBR but only configured with the S3 storage and then a copy job to go from the on-prem storage to the cloud storage?

That being said I don't see any sort of option to only take the weekly fulls, is that actually possible as a copy? Or would I need to set up a separate job that points at the Cloud storage but only set up to run once per week?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Storage Re-architecture questions

Post by Mildur »

Hi Skiver

It is not possible to choose which GFS Restore Points are offloaded to capacity tier and which are not.
Is there a reason, why only the weekly fulls have to be offloaded?

With the current version of veeam, you can create a backup copy job (periodic mode) and target it to the new SOBR. Set the interval to 1 week. Veeam will only offload this weekly restore point.
When V12 is released, you will be able to target the backup copy job directly to object storage.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software