Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

SureBackup and Object Storage

Post by kewnev »

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to tell SureBackup to use Capacity Tier data instead of Performance Tier data? SureBackup seems like a great way to test backups in isolation, and it would be great to be able to test the latest S3 restore point to ensure recoverability of data.
Alternatively, is it possible to temporarily disable the Performance Tier repository before the SureBackup operation, forcing SureBackup to fetch the data from the Capacity Tier?

Many Thanks.
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 117 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Re: SureBackup and Object Storage

Post by sfirmes »

If you put the Performance Tier in maintenance mode, that will force the use of the Capacity Tier.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What policy is configured for Capacity Tier? Move or Copy?

I'm wondering cause we just discovered an issue with SureBackup and Capacity Tier maintenance mode: SureBackup tries to verify backups residing on Performance Tier, even if it is in maintenance mode. If restore points to verify have been moved to Capacity Tier (move policy), the verification procedure then switches to Capacity Tier and succeeds.

However if restore points are present on Performance Tier (copy policy), the verification procedure never touches data on Capacity Tier.

This behaviour is considered as a bug and will be fixed in one of the next product updates (too late to include in 11a, unfortunately).

Thanks!
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Post by kewnev »

It exists on both Performance and Capacity, hence it would be Copy policy I presume.
Thanks for the information and the update, I guess we just need to be patient for now until it has been fixed in Veeam.

Many Thanks.
DavidRobertson
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: David Robertson

Post by DavidRobertson »

Hi, has there been any change to this? I have a customer who wants to specifically test their object located restore points, but also need to use Copy/Move to achieve offsite and archive copies.