Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Test Restore from Object Storage

Post by dloseke »

I (and a client both) have a SOBR (using copy mode) setup at a recovery site that includes Wasabi for object storage with immutability as the capacity tier with the data being fed by copy jobs. Both client and I are using v11a.

Client would like to perform a test restore of data from Wasabi. It would appear based on forum searches that specifying an Instant Recovery from the object storage backup location will mount the object storage extent and NOT use the performance tier at the remote site, regardless of if the performance extent is in maintenance mode or not, correct?

What about performing a full restore? Can I still specify directly from Object storage, or do I need to put the remote site repo/performance extent into maintenance mode before performing the restore to make sure the data comes from Wasabi instead of the repo at the recovery site?

Are there any situations where it would look at the local primary repository to restore data from for restore performance rather than from the repository targeted by the copy job?

Thanks!
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Re: Test Restore from Object Storage

Post by sfirmes »

@dloseke the only way to force/test restoring data from the object storage (capacity tier) is to have the performance tier inaccessible to Veeam. Putting the performance tier into maintenance mode is an easy way to do this.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2285 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Restores from capacity tier can be done without putting the performance tier in maintenance since V11a.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4215
Restore directly from Capacity Tier: when a restore process is initiated from backups stored in the Capacity Tier (using the Backups > Object Storage node), we will no longer read matching data blocks from the Performance Tier and instead use solely the data from object storage. This capability can be useful for performing periodic non-disruptive restore tests directly from the cloud without putting your Performance Tier into maintenance mode.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Post by dloseke »

Perfect...thank you. I was looking in the user guide for this information and didn't think to look at release notes for 11a.
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke