Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ratkinsonuk
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Robert Atkinson

Unable to Instant Access for an Existing Object Locked AWS S3 Bucket

Post by ratkinsonuk »

I thought I'd ask this question here before going to Support, as it's fairly generic.

I have a SOBR pointing to some on-prem file storage and an AWS S3 bucket. We want to start using lower cost S3 storage, so decided to tick the 'Infrequent Access' checkbox on the S3 repository. Unfortunately, the GUI blocks this because Object Lock is enabled on the bucket.

What are the rules around Object Lock and which tier of AWS S3 we can use? Is there a way to move between the tiers that doesn't give Veeam an issue?

Cheers, Rob.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Unable to Instant Access for an Existing Object Locked AWS S3 Bucket

Post by Gostev »

Object Lock can be used with any AWS S3 storage class but you need to make the storage class decision when creating an object storage repository when using immutable backups.

Besides, I would not recommend S3 IA in conjunction with Object Lock due to much higher API costs blowing through any storage costs savings you may get. Pretty much the only scenario when economics may work is the Move policy set to only grab long-term GFS backups.
ratkinsonuk
Expert

Post by ratkinsonuk »

Thanks Gostev. So there's no way to change it once the bucket and repository are in place?

Cheers, Rob.

P.S. I must have been on drugs when I typed the subject line in! :P
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct.
User Guide wrote:Versioning and Object Lock must not be enabled or disabled on buckets that have been added to Veeam Backup & Replication as it may lead to unpredictable system behavior and data loss.
ratkinsonuk
Expert

Post by ratkinsonuk »

Thanks Vladimir. It effects the way I'd like to roll out SOBR/S3, but at least I'm aware of the limitation now.