Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
importantchicken562
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Vigil

Unable to remove SOBR

Post by importantchicken562 »

Hi,

I am setting up offsite backups using Wasabi. 5 sites have been configured with it with no issues. I am now working on the last site(corp) and had the job working until I realized the max file size Wasabi supports of 5TB. I have a backup job with a 6TB file size and need to break the job down to individual VMs get the file sizes smaller.

Anyway I tried to undo everything but am unable to remove the SOBR because it tells me the primary backup job is using it. When I go into the primary job, my local storage is no longer listed, just a local repository I set up for Veeam configuration backups, and the SOBR I created. Before I began this configuration, my local storage repo was the target for the job but as I mentioned, it has dissappeared.

How do I undo everything so I can get it backing up to my local repository only? My backups are still on the local repository as I initially selected the option to copy the backups and not move the backups to Wasabi when I was configuring the jobs.

Any ideas? I hope I don't have to set up some kind of temp repository and move stuff around because this job is something like 10TBs.

I have also opened a Veeam ticket #removed contract number

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Unable to remove SOBR

Post by Mildur »

I am now working on the last site(corp) and had the job working until I realized the max file size Wasabi supports of 5TB. I have a backup job with a 6TB file size and need to break the job down to individual VMs get the file sizes smaller.
Do you see issues with your backup jobs to this SOBR?
Veeam doesn‘t write entire backup files to object storage. Veeam splits a backup file in small unique objects (1MB default setting) and offload them to the bucket. You will never hit the 5TB limit with veeam. The file size limit will not be the cause of your issues.

I removed the number from your post. It was a contract number. Please post your case number (starts with #05 or #07).

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
importantchicken562
Influencer

Thank you for this. So if I am understanding this correctly, even though my VEEAM backup files are several TB in size, the actual files that get uploaded to Wasabi/S3 will get split into much smaller files correct? If that’s the case then I can just re-enable the job.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

During offload, a backup file will be split into multiple smaller chunks. And thanks to the index technology only unique blocks will be written to object storage.
importantchicken562
Influencer

Thanks guys.

Have 2 quick related questions:

1-We have a 1Gb pipe here and when I started offloading the backups to Wasabi, I only got around 25MB. Would this speed be due to Veeam uploading multiple small files instead of single, large Veeam backup files or should I be getting close to the 1Gb upload we have?

2-I started offloading and stopped the offload due to the file size issue I mentioned earlier. When I re-enabled the job, I got following error in the offloading job:

2/7/2023 12:44:01 AM :: REST API error: 'Forbidden', error code: 403
Failed to check whether S3 object exists. Path: [/Veeam/Archive/Veeam1/Encryption/EncryptionV2]

I went into the Backup Repository and went to the Properties of my Object Storage Repository(Wasabi) and went thru the wizard. When I got to the 'Account' section and clicked 'Next', I got the same error I mentioned above. Thinking a service might need to be restarted, I rebooted the server and went thru the process again and was able to get past that screen and finish the wizard however the offload job is still failing. Think this is an issue with Veeam or Wasabi?
importantchicken562
Influencer

I didn't see an edit button but for #2 I resynchronized my SOBR which fixed the issue.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

Please open a support case for this issue.
You may start with a Veeam case. If needed, our support team will tell you to open also a case with Wasabi.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software