Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Re: V12: Main Benefits of using Local Object Storage vs. Linux Repo

Post by mkretzer » 1 person likes this post

There is one more benefit using Linux: In theory, if you use premium hardware with lots of redundancies (like we do) you can span the LVM over multiple storage systems (especially for primary storage and if you have a also premium backup copy target). Also, since you can migrate LVM online i still believe that at these sizes XFS + LVM is *much* more flexible.
Still, jorgedlcruz's comment comes into play here: you have to be very comfortable with Linux and have to know exactly what you are doing!

I hope for the foreseeable future Veeam still invests in/supports XFS as for us its one of the best features Veeam has ever provided!
dhnz
Veeam Software
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: David Hills

Post by dhnz » 1 person likes this post

Two use-cases I'm the most excited about:

- Much simpler conversation in SMB - if they want to use a QNAP or TrueNAS you can! Just enable the built-in S3 connector and no more tricky conversations about iSCSI or Linux VMs. Which includes Agent Backups
- Multiple Buckets! Each "Tenant" in an MSP or Department" in a business can have their own bucket. This makes billing and chargeback of raw consumption much easier than trying to do that with volumes on XFS
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

@dhnz: In your opinion how reliable are the S3 services of QNAP, Synology, etc? If SMB and at some point iSCSI aren't seen as reliable, can we trust the S3 implementations?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Exactly. It was never their focus in the first place, so I would expect that to be a checkbox-quality functionality in terms of performance and scalability at least, and possibly reliability.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

dhnz wrote: Jul 15, 2022 3:38 am Two use-cases I'm the most excited about:

- Much simpler conversation in SMB - if they want to use a QNAP or TrueNAS you can! Just enable the built-in S3 connector and no more tricky conversations about iSCSI or Linux VMs. Which includes Agent Backups
- Multiple Buckets! Each "Tenant" in an MSP or Department" in a business can have their own bucket. This makes billing and chargeback of raw consumption much easier than trying to do that with volumes on XFS
This will be interesting as I have a Synology at home I can test with this theory. Going to be something we will look at being an MSP since we are now moving away from ReFS to XFS now to add immutability.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose