Using object storage as a backup target
mkh
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Michael Høyer

VBR v12 object storage format change, will that mean higher data usage?

Post by mkh »

I have just watched this video https://anthonyspiteri.net/v12-preview- ... ancements/
and i get i little unsure about what exactly these changes to the object storage format means for the usage

In the video Anthony and Dustin talks about reuse of blocks now only being for neighboring checkpoints inside 3 days, as part of removing the index

But what does that means if you do a synthetic full every saturday, will there not be any reuse between these?

Taken at "face value" what Anthony and Dustin is saying will mean that storage usage on object storage will explode in V12 compared to V11 if you are for instance keeping 12 monthlies and 5 yearly full.

I hope i'm missing something here :)

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2055 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VBR v12 object storage format change, will that mean higher data usage?

Post by veremin »

I'm yet to see the session, but in the provided example only blocks that have not been already present on the object storage repository will be written.

However, at this moment we cannot comment on yet unreleased features or discuss any specifics as some things are still subject to possible changes in the final code.

Thank for understanding!

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 5841 times

Post by Gostev »

V12 will still reuse unchanged disk blocks even from a 5 years old restore point. I don't have time to watch the recording but if people understand from whatever is said there that "reuse is only within 3 days" then we need to pull that part of the video anyway as it's not correct.

@veremin please coordinate this activity with Dustin and Anthony.

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2055 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Sure, will discuss it internally.