Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN

Post by andyboy16 »

Hello there,
Our DBA team want's the ability to backup their own Oracle DB's on their own will. With Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN, how can we achieve the ability to backing up Oracle using the plug-in while also moving those DB backups into S3 and off of our on-prem storage? I have SOBR setup, which the plugin is pointed to. When a RMAN backup is executed, the backup goes into the SOBR and then is immediately copied into S3. But the problem is, we only want to have one or two copies stored onsite and then 30 days worth stored on the S3 buckets. I'm a little confused on how to accomplish this as there's not really "complete" backup set to complete the backup chain (which would then move everything off of on-prem and into S3 completely).
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2291 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN

Post by Mildur »

Hi Andrew

You can find your answer here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... acity-tier

For the RMAN Plugin, veeam ignores the dependencies of the full and incremental backups. Veeam use the creation time to decide when a rman restore points must be moved to the capacity tier. In your case, that would be after two days.
Capacity tier does not track dependencies of full and incremental Veeam Plug-in backup files. Thus, mind the following:

[For the Move policy] When backup files are transferred to the capacity tier, Veeam Backup & Replication takes into account only the creation time of backup files. Make sure that the operational restore window is not longer than the whole backup chain cycle period. Otherwise, you may encounter the scenario when full backup files are transferred to the capacity tier and their increment backup files still remain in the performance tier.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Andrew,

Yes, Move policy is a way to go as you can move backups that are out of your operational restore window to the Capacity Tier, just specify the desired number of days in SOBR settings.

Thanks!
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Post by andyboy16 »

I have the move policy set for 1 day. How can I verify that the RMAN backup is moved off of the performance tier and on to the capacity tier? There's no properties to look at for the Oracle RMAN disk.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Andrew,

You can go to Backups - Object Storage in order to check whether restore points of the corresponding backup were offloaded or not but there is no option to examine backup properties. I'm also curious to know if you would you like to have more detailed information about offloaded backups? If yes, I'd appreciate it if you could clarify what kind of information would you like to see there and why?

Thanks!