Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
eduzimrs
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Eduardo Scheffer

Wasabi best practices

Post by eduzimrs »

Hey Guys,

I'm configuring Wasabi as capacity tier extent, is it a best practice to add more than one bucket in order to get better performance ?
Thanks,
--
Best Regards.
Eduardo K. Scheffer - SE
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Wasabi best practices

Post by Mildur »

Hi Eduardo

How many objects will you write to Wasabi?
We introduced this new feature (multiple buckets) mainly because a lot of On-Premises Object Storage vendors don't work well with a giant amount of objects in there buckets. Providing multiple buckets does solve this situation.

I don't know what Wasabis recommendation is for max objects per bucket, but Cloud Providers don't seem to have that limitation.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I recall Wasabi having a recommendation regarding the number of objects stored in a single bucket. It used to be 100 million, but I cannot find current documentation confirming that this limit is still in place (most likely, not). Thanks!
DeanCTS
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dean Anderson

Post by DeanCTS »

eduzimrs wrote: Mar 25, 2023 1:07 pm Hey Guys,

I'm configuring Wasabi as capacity tier extent, is it a best practice to add more than one bucket in order to get better performance ?
Thanks,
If you plan to store a big amount of objects, you need to consider separating backup jobs to multiple backups, maybe per client / location you're backing up etc...some backups will be huge and you will need to figure out a way to further slice them down. Someone will have bucket per company, client, department, OS type etc...I'd recommend planning your backup jobs and bucket sizes for up to 30 million objects because at that point you will notice a minor degradation in backup job performance which you won't be able to mitigate since the limitation stems from their end and no matter how much resources you throw at your VBR / connection it won't help it.