Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ofirgal11
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ofir Gal

What is the best way to upload to azure a backup copy for CIFS and NFS to azure

Post by ofirgal11 »

Hi
I am trying to create DR for my on site backups with my Veaam backup and replication .
I have managed to create copy backup job to azure successfully to the required /important VM's to an azure blob - and it seems to be working, did not tried restore from azure but I can see my VM's while looking on the external repo storage pointing to the blob.
I have deployed azure veeam appliance (Veeam backup for MS Azure) and probably will require to test restore to azure on the future .
I have several CIFS shares and NFS shares on prem , mainly for our develop teams that I would like to clone to the Blob storage , on the same way I am doing with the VM's.
I have tried adding secondary storage to the files backup jobs - that are using the extended /blob backup repo (the one I am using for the VM's backups) , the jobs looks like success but I do not see the actual files on azure and I do not understand if the upload to the cloud is OK , what is the proper way to create offsite (DR) backup on azure for files using Veeam - is it supported ?

Thanks
Ofir
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: What is the best way to upload to azure a backup copy for CIFS and NFS to azure

Post by veremin »

You should create a Scale-Out Backup Repository with Capacity Tier attached to it. In the settings of Capacity Tier you need to enable copy mode. Then, point backup or backup copy jobs to it.

This way restore points that land on Scale-Out Backup Repository will be copied to object storage.

However, keep in mind that External Repository and Capacity Tier are two different features that are not interconnected anyhow.

Thanks!
ofirgal11
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ofir Gal

Re: What is the best way to upload to azure a backup copy for CIFS and NFS to azure

Post by ofirgal11 »

Hi
Can I use the capacity Teir as Share Cifs from azure ? - this is my first question
Second question ? I would like to install in Azure VBR server and use both the newly created capacity Teir on azure and alos to connect to the SOBR with all my VM's for restore testing inside AZure , if I will connect to the existing BLOB and CIFS will it affect the production VBR on prem that is uploading data to the cloud ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can I use the capacity Teir as Share Cifs from azure ? - this is my first question
No
I would like to install in Azure VBR server and use both the newly created capacity Teir on azure and alos to connect to the SOBR with all my VM's for restore testing inside AZure , if I will connect to the existing BLOB and CIFS will it affect the production VBR on prem that is uploading data to the cloud?
Not sure whether I get the deployment scenario you're after. Can you specify what you plan to use as Performance Tier (initial backup landing zone)?