Discussions specific to managed agent-based backups
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Agent Backup of Hosts - Excluding folders from backup

Post by Blue407 » Jan 07, 2019 11:28 am

Morning All

I've just realised that my Agent backup of my hyper-v hosts and servers is backing up a huge amount of data.
I'm only using the Agent to backup the core hardware O/S, all VM's are backed up in separate jobs.
I have one job running to backup all physical hardware, most are Hyper-V hosts, some are just stand-alone servers.

Having looked into this in more detail, I realised that even though I had only selected C:\ volume for backup, this was including things like ClusterStorage folder which contained all the running VM's, also Backup folders on the C: drive.

How do I exclude certain folders from the Agent backup, when selecting volume level backup?

To confirm, this job runs from the B&R server, not configured on individual agents on servers.

Dima P.
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Agent Backup of Hosts - Excluding folders from backup

Post by Dima P. » Jan 07, 2019 12:40 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello Paul,

If you want to protect only operating system (and do not care about clustered storage or other volumes), you can switch the backup job type, backup mode to volume level backup and volume C as source for your backup job. If you go with file level backup you can specify the exclusion mask for your volume as well. Will that work for you? Thanks!

Blue407
Enthusiast

Post by Blue407 » Jan 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi

I already have it set to Volume level, but the CSV's are mapped to C:\ so they are being backed up.

I haven't tried file level backup as there's a warning saying its very slow.

Is there no ability to exclude folders?

Dima P.
Veeam Software

Post by Dima P. » Jan 11, 2019 5:06 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello Paul and sorry for keeping silence.

You can add list of desired folders to be processed by file level backup job. In current version it's not possible to exclude a path to the folder but we've added this functionality to Update 4 (which is literary around the corner). With new version you can volume C:\ to the list of objects to be processed by file level backup job and exclude the folder by path (i.e. C:\Folder1 can be added as exclusion).

Blue407
Enthusiast

Post by Blue407 » Jan 14, 2019 8:52 am 1 person likes this post

Thank you for the reply. Good news that there will be a new feature to help with this, I look forward to testing it when Update 4 is released.

Dima P.
Veeam Software

Post by Dima P. » Jan 16, 2019 10:21 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Paul,

You can request it via our support team now or wait till official GA release. Cheers!