Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Agent backup to Cloud Connect through VBR

Post by DanielJ »

I am looking at how to backup Azure Stack. I have understood that agents are more or less the only way. Feels a bit surreal that it would be impossible to back up on hypervisor level (and that anyone would like to use such a platform), but anyhow. We have a Cloud Connect setup that I would like to use. Would it work to set up a tenant for each customer, deploy a VBR in the Azure Stack, create a cloud repository in VBR for each customer towards their tenant, deploy agents to all vms and thus back up everything directly to CC? This assuming that networking would work out. Worst case I guess we could have a VBR server for each customer network. I know that standalone agents could back up directly to CC, but that would mean a maintenance nightmare and also require one tenant for each vm. Correct?

Has anyone done something like this? I would be happy for any and all input.

Edit: this should have been in the Physical & Cloud subforum. Seems I can neither move nor delete it. Oh well.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Agent backup to Cloud Connect through VBR

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Daniel,
DanielJ wrote:I know that standalone agents could back up directly to CC, but that would mean a maintenance nightmare and also require one tenant for each vm. Correct?
Not at all, if you manage these Agents with VAC, as all maintenance tasks will be performed from the VAC web UI. Additionally, you can re-use the same tenant everywhere or use sub-tenants (automatically generated for you by VAC).

P.S. I've moved your topic to the correct sub-forum.

Thanks!
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Post by DanielJ »

Thank you. What could be done without using VAC? We do not use it today and I would like to avoid making our Cloud Connect setup even more complex than it already is. Would it be feasible to do as I described? I would love to hear from someone who is backing up an Azure Stack with Veeam how they do it.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

VAC is a web frontend for your existing Cloud Connect infrastructure.
It will use your existing Cloud Gateways to manage the backup agents from your customers in the Azure Stack.

You will make your Environment even more complex without the possibilities of the vac (central management and monitoring of this agents in your Azure Stack Enviroment) :-)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

DanielJ wrote:What could be done without using VAC? We do not use it today and I would like to avoid making our Cloud Connect setup even more complex than it already is. Would it be feasible to do as I described? I would love to hear from someone who is backing up an Azure Stack with Veeam how they do it.
Yes, your deployment would also work, but not sure it will be less complex as you lose single visibility (single UI across all jobs), you will need to manage each Veeam B&R server at every client's location (for example if you want to re-configure a job you would need to open a local backup console to do that). Additionally, don't forget about usage reporting and license management which you will need to do by connecting to each backup server on a monthly basis.