Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
bonzovt
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Fisher

AWS Volume Gateway as Veeam Repository

Post by bonzovt » 1 person likes this post

Does Veeam officially support the use of AWS Volume Gateway as a repository? I've seen lots of blog posts and have configured VTL in a lab environment, so I know that works. Tried for fun creating a volume gateway for AWS and syncing to our on-prem vSphere/Veeam lab. Got the volume attached to the Veeam server via iSCSI and added as a backup repository. Attempted a backup job to that repository, and it kept failing due to the AWS volume disconnecting/reconnecting on the Veeam server itself. Upgraded the Veeam server from 9.5 U2 to 9.5 U3, re-ran the exact same job and it completed successfully right afterwards. I can't seem to find anything stating that Veeam 9.5 U3 has any enhancements for this, but it certainly may have just been some kind of weird quirk we stumbled upon. Curious as to the official support from a Veeam standpoint.
bonzovt
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Fisher

Re: AWS Volume Gateway as Veeam Repository

Post by bonzovt »

quick update, upgrading from U2 to U3 wasn't the ONLY thing, we found out the vSphere host was over-committed for memory and the Storage Gateway appliance was showing mem errors. Once we powered off a couple older VMs, the Storage Gateway appliance wasn't being flukey, which coincided with the Veeam upgrade. More than likely the RAM issue caused the failures, but still curious about official support for this from Veeam.