Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
DollaBillz217
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: William Cody

Backing up physical server

Post by DollaBillz217 »

Excuse my question, but I am brand new to Veeam. I purchased the Backup and Replication software and I need to backup 4 separate physical servers that are acting as both a domain controller and a file server. How do I go about doing this? I'm confused as to what I need to install on each machine to accomplish this. Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Backing up physical server

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Check out Veeam Agent Management Guide - it has step by step instructions configuring physical server protection jobs!
/Thanks
noel-evo
Novice
Full Name: Noel vK

Post by noel-evo »

I am also having difficulty locating any documentation for physical servers. Everything mentions Virtual. I have several DC's and File Servers that I need incremental backups for. I have the agent on some and the full package on others and nowhere do I see the options for incremental backups. Only daily interim backups which are backing up huge amounts of data (the backup was several gig but the difference in data was around 500MB)
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40

During the first backup job session, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows performs full backup. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows copies all data that you have chosen to back up (entire volumes and folders) and stores the resulting full backup file (VBK) in the target location. The full backup takes significant time to complete and produces a large backup file: you have to copy the whole amount of data.

During subsequent backup job sessions, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows performs incremental backups. It copies only new or changed data relatively to the last backup job session and saves this data as an incremental backup file (VIB) in the target location. Incremental backups typically take less time than full backup: you have to copy only changes, not the whole amount of data.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
noel-evo
Novice
Full Name: Noel vK

Post by noel-evo »

this does not appear to be the case. It is copying a substantial amount more data than just what was changed. We are running StorageCraft along side this installation to compare performance and space. StorageCraft will copy 10% of what Veeam copies. In the backup job, I don't see any of the referenced screen shots for an incremental. I do see vib files but they are just huge by comparison. My requirement is to run incrementals every hour but with this size of file, the NAS will never be able to store the required 3 months of files. Storagecraft can hold 3 months in less than a TB.

That is why I am looking for config options as these files are not TRUE incrementals. They must be taking in system data and information into the incremental. Please confirm my assumptions
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Incremental backup file contains only changed data from a previous run, however mechanics to find changes depends on selected Backup Mode: if you choose Entire Machine or Volume Level backups, then Veeam will track changes at the block level, so if 1KB changes within the block, Veeam will read entire 1MB to backup (with compression applied afterwards). If you choose File Level backup, Veeam tracks changes based on Last Changed Date poperty of files and backs them up.
If you believe that incremental backup retrieves excessive amounts of data, feel free to open a support ticket and find a root cause of changes within your system with assistance of our engineers.
/Thanks!