Discussions specific to managed agent-based backups
martin_zidu
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Martin Zidu

Re: Duplicate UUIDs

Post by martin_zidu » Aug 27, 2018 7:38 am

NightBird wrote:
On AMI Bios you can use AMIDEWIN tools or DMIEDITOR tools... I have had problems on some customers... it's time consuming and cost a lot to change all bios UUID...

I have had this issue at industrial customers on industrial workstations (panel PC, and fanless computer, all AMI BIOS...)
Yes, you are right that those duplications are mainly on production PCs and terminals...because it seems to us, that manufacturer is sending machines with cloned BIOS...

We have also some set of tools from technician, which will provide us with a possibility to change UUID, but still it´s a "hardware layer" change and this is something, which is really not good idea to do...according to the fact, that sometimes its 24/7 production machines and we are not able to find suitable maintenance window to do a change.

We had also some office PCs affected, but this is caused due to the fact, that they have corrupted UUID (like empty FFFFFF-FFFF-FFF....) and therefore sometimes can be also an issue.

bastiaenssenst
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Bastiaenssens

Post by bastiaenssenst » Aug 27, 2018 11:52 am

If Veeam would use the MAC-address of a computer maybe in combination with BIOS UUID most of the problems would solved i guess

shawmcbigdis
Lurker

Post by shawmcbigdis » Aug 29, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm also having this problem with a few white box PC's that are used for a custom application here.

Anyone have any more info on a fix from Veeam on this?

I have a ticket open with support, but the are just having me remove the PC's from the protection group and manually load the agent over and over. It would seem if the R$D team know this doesn't work, then they need to tell support there is no fix right now, instead of telling people to jump through hoops to accomplish nothing.

martin_zidu
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Martin Zidu

Post by martin_zidu » Aug 30, 2018 4:55 pm 2 people like this post

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

procedure is as follows:

1) First of all, this procedure is working only with an U3a update

2) To ‘EnableSystemUuidFailover’ key should be added on each Veeam Agent host with non-unique ID.

This is the key enabling Veeam failover logic.

Name: EnableSystemUuidFailover
Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\
Type: DWORD
Value: 1

3) Then a unique ID should be assigned manually on each Agent station.
Another Veeam registry should be added on each host for it:

Name: SystemUuid
Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\
Type: REG_SZ
Value: {a custom UUID}

Custom UUID should correspond with the standard UUID format rules, brackets are required.

You can use some online generator for it (https://www.uuidgenerator.net/ ) or put some your own strings there.

4) Rescan protection group and you are deployed now

BTW: obviously it´s still an workaround and Veeam is suggesting to update BIOS UUID together with vendor since UUID duplication could lead not only into Veeam agent issues.

Hope this will help to some of you guys

We have tested and it´s working

point is, if this solution can be cover by group policy or similar...but thats different story how to handle those registries

Cheers

Martin

bastiaenssenst
Novice
Full Name: Tim Bastiaenssens

Post by bastiaenssenst » Nov 14, 2018 3:27 pm

I can confirm this workaround works.
Tested this on several machines.

sockpuppet
Lurker

Post by sockpuppet » Nov 19, 2018 7:20 am

Have you been through the BIOS and checked for an option to change part number and serial number? I recently had an HP server with no UUID and this was because the serial number had been removed, once I put the serial number back in the BIOS, the UUID was created from the two fields and Veeam backup worked.

ddayton
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Don Dayton

Post by ddayton » Nov 19, 2018 7:40 pm

I would just like to add that without using Sysprep after a clone has caused us many issues with active directory (AD), McAfee ePO, SMS and WSUS. You shouldn't clone without doing a Sysprep. It does not take much time to do, but good luck.