Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
SteveBLGS
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Steve

[FEATURE REQUEST] Exclude Directories in VB&R for VAL

Post by SteveBLGS »

I'm using Veeam B&R to centrally manage our servers backed up via the Veeam Agent for Linux. Central management of our backups is preferable over logging into each server to setup the jobs individually.
However, when managing a VAL backup with VB&R, you cannot exclude directories in a File Level Backup. According to support this feature is available when creating the backup from the agent itself, but not in the Veeam B&R interface.

I'd like to request that this option be made available in the Veeam B&R interface so we can manage our backups from a single point.

Thanks!
Steve
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Exclude Directories in VB&R for VAL

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Steve.

Thanks for sharing! Can you please clarify why file filters in file level backup jobs are not working for you?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

I guess because file filters would exclude all matching files on all machines in all paths specified in job settings.
SteveBLGS
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Steve

Post by SteveBLGS »

Hi Dmitry,

We would like to exclude a specific directory that is used as transient work space. We want to make sure that only the exact directory path we specify is excluded (as PTide stated). If we use a mask, it could get excluded from other directories that we do want to backup.

For example, we want to backup:

/dirA

and exclude

/dirA/dirB/dirC

According to support (case #02828490) and the docs, this feature is already available if we setup/manage the job from the agent. However, we'd prefer to manage everything from a single location in the Veeam B&R interface. I'm hoping since the functionality to exclude a directory is already in the agent, that exposing this option in the Veeam B&R interface won't take too much additional effort.

Thanks!
Steve
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Thank you for clarification, your feature request has been noted.