Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
meinecke
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Meinecke

Feature Request: Local restores in 'Managed by server' mode

Post by meinecke »

My setup employs a VBR infrastructure 9.5.0.1536 with Enterprise Plus license. Backup targets are several scale out repositories on two backup proxies.
I've definded jobs for Windows and Linux agent backups in 'Managed by backup server' mode. After taking initial backups and testing various restore scenarios I've noticed that the administrator of a windows server is unable to make restores from the backups of his own machine. This functionality is apparantly only enabled when using the 'Managed by agent' mode and gets disabled when using the 'Managed by backup server' mode. This is in contrast to the behavior of Linux agent backups where the local administrator always has access to the backups of his own machine.
I would suggest to also give the administrator of a windows machine access to the backups of his own server, regardless of which backup mode is used and where the backups are stored.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Local restores in 'Managed by server' m

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Peter.

Veeam agent has no UI installed whenever agent is controlled by backup server (managed by backup server job). Have you tried Self-Service restore capabilities of Enterprise Manager? This feature support agent backups and should be available in your Ent+ edition.
meinecke
Novice

Post by meinecke »

In fact the UI (Veeam.EndPoint.FLR) is installed but fails to start with 'Unable to complete the action because this backup agent is centrally managed by your system administrator.'.
The approach using the Self-Service restore capabilities of Enterprise Manager is successfull. It still would be nice to have equal capabilities for Windows and Linux agents.
meinecke
Novice

Post by meinecke »

The recommendation of using the Self-Service restore capabilities of Enterprise Manager only works if the corresponding user has the restore scope of 'All virtual machines' selected in his role configuration. There seems to be no way to give users the right to restore specific physical servers backed up by Veeam agents.
Is there any other approach to let the administrator of a windows server backed up by Veeam Agent in 'Managed by backup server' mode and who has not the right to restore all virtual machines in Enterprise Manager Plus make restores of his own machine?