Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Bob_MoodyTX
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Moody

File Level - Protection Group - Backups

Post by Bob_MoodyTX »

The ink is still drying on our license contract and I am starting the task or creating Veeam backup jobs to replace the Symantec BackupExec 14 system.
I originally created a Daily and Weekly job for one of our Linux servers and the same for a second ..
At some point in time, while originally testing, I created a Protection Group called Oracle Servers that contains the two Linux servers.

So I went back and decided to create a file level test job using the Protection group.
I added 1 item from each server to the ITEMS list and ran the job. I was pleased to see that it associated the paths to the servers.. I have to admit I was ready to call out "witch!!" when it did it .. So. I created a job that backed up both the Linux servers with all the paths ..

This brings me to a couple of "Bobservations"

1. What happens if path /u02/backmeup resides on more than one server in the Protection Group and you only want that path from one of the servers in the group?
2. [Feature Request] Add a comment option to each line item in path list. One day someone will ask me what are you backing up from server #2 and since the paths get grouped (sorted) together, there is no way to tell which path applies to what server. (of course this is a moot point if you are backing up C:\Users from 8 windows servers configured as a Protection group) or (even better), automatically insert in the empty column the server(s) name the requested path was found on
3. No Browse/Select function when adding paths to the items list? I took delivery of a Ferrari but they took the wheels off... It almost seems like Entire Computer and Volume Level backups where the golden path and File level was the Friday afternoon at 4:30 PM before a 3 day weekend add on.

Thanks for reading..

Bob Moody
Windham School District
Huntsville, TX
Bob Moody
Windham School District
Huntsville, TX
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: File Level - Protection Group - Backups

Post by PTide »

Hi,
1. What happens if path /u02/backmeup resides on more than one server in the Protection Group and you only want that path from one of the servers in the group?
It will backup the path from all servers where it is available.
2. [Feature Request] Add a comment option to each line item in path list. One day someone will ask me what are you backing up from server #2 and since the paths get grouped (sorted) together, there is no way to tell which path applies to what server. (of course this is a moot point if you are backing up C:\Users from 8 windows servers configured as a Protection group) or (even better), automatically insert in the empty column the server(s) name the requested path was found on
Good point, will take that into consideration.
3. No Browse/Select function when adding paths to the items list? I took delivery of a Ferrari but they took the wheels off... It almost seems like Entire Computer and Volume Level backups where the golden path and File level was the Friday afternoon at 4:30 PM before a 3 day weekend add on.
Would you elaborate on that please? Are you talking about adding a button that would allow you to actually browse the filesystem on one of the machines (which one btw?) added into the job?

Thanks
Bob_MoodyTX
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Moody

Post by Bob_MoodyTX »

Thank you for the quick reply.

Point 1: That is actually pretty cool in that a path for server A will not error out on server B and vice versa and will backup up on both if the path resides on both. That is what I thought but it is great to get a confirmation.

Point 2: Thank you.

Point 3: To be specific, I am referring to creating a new backup job and I really don't think that it matters if its individually listed servers or a Protection Group of servers.
When you go to add items during the "Choose Data to Backup" step, I would have thought it nice to be presented with a button to browse the file system and select path to include. In the event there is more than one server (Protection Group scenario) then you would select the server then drill into the file system to make a selection.

In the "Entire Computer" backup mode this obviously isn't needed.
In the "Volume Level Backup" mode it could be convenient but not a deal breaker .
In the "File Level Backup " mode you are at such a granular level that the ability to browse/drill/select a path would be considerably more accurate and time efficient.
In my particular case I was having to set up Linux paths like /u02/app/oracle/fast-recovery/ABC123/archivelog. There are 13 unique paths in this particular backup set.
I do understand that this is not an everyday event (setting up paths and creating backups) but it appeared to me that it would make maintenance and changes simpler and set up more intuitive (Along with my suggestion in point #2)

And..... at the risk of aggravating the Veeam Gods ... the browse/select option was available in my previous backup solution (BackupExec 2014)

again.. thanks for reading
Bob Moody
Windham School District
Huntsville, TX
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

In the event there is more than one server (Protection Group scenario) then you would select the server then drill into the file system to make a selection.
I agree that it would make maintenance simpler, however I'd say that since:

1) the backup job creation is is not an everyday event

2) there are likely not so many host-unique paths, thus it should not take a lot of effort to split those hosts in a separate jobs and type the paths manually, especially if it's a rare event

3) if PG contains many hosts, or includes some AD containers, the browse operation might take a significant time to complete as VBR will have to rescan the whole group/container in order to build the list of hosts available for browsing to show you.

Given all of that, I'm not sure if it's actually worth implementing right now. However, if more people would be advocating for the feature... :)

Thanks