Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Basbei
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Sebastien Hausammann

Full Backup merge failed due to Service Provider connection

Post by Basbei »

Hi everyone,

I actually have different backup job (mainly Windows Agents) that are failing during the Full Backup Merge Process.
The backup jobs are targeting a VCC repository.
The error I got is this one:

4/30/2018 10:10:18 AM :: Full backup file merge failed Error: Failed to connect to the Veeam Cloud Connect service Unable to connect to the service provider. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond <ip_address_of_gateway>:6180

It seems that the gateway are not able to process the requested amount of jobs ? But this one is not responsible for the merging process right?
I actually have only one gateway, do you think that adding a second gateway could resolve this issue?

Thank you very much for your help ;)
Regards,
Basbei
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Full Backup merge failed due to Service Provider connect

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Basbei,

So far it looks like a connectivity issue. Can you confirm that connection between VCC and Veeam Agent is stable?
Basbei
Novice

Post by Basbei »

Hi Dima,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes this was the first point I also expected. But this issue only happen during the merging process (at the end of the backup) and never during the backup process (sending data to VCC repository).
During the merge process it always alternates between the actual merge percent, for example "Merge (58% done)" and the message "Waiting for backup infrastructure resources" (even if the merge succeed).

And as I know the merging operation is taking place on the backup repository, so it should have no influence concerning the connectivity from the agent and the VCC backend Server/gateway.
That's why I am acutally a bit confused...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Basbei wrote:And as I know the merging operation is taking place on the backup repository, so it should have no influence concerning the connectivity from the agent and the VCC backend Server/gateway.
Cloud Connect knows nothing about backup content and retention, so a merge is handled by Veeam agent (thus it requires stable connection with repository).
Basbei
Novice

Post by Basbei »

Okay makes sense.
So do you think adding a second gateway (with round-robin DNS) could be a good option?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Do you mean adding a gateway on the client side or the provider side?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Basbei
Novice

Post by Basbei » 2 people like this post

Adding a second VCC gateway server on the provider side did the trick :)
All my backups (especially the merging processes) run without problem since a week now.
randerson999
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ross Anderson

Post by randerson999 »

We're having the same issue - failing during the merge on VCC jobs. ("8/16/2018 12:30:17 AM :: Failed to merge full backup file Error: Failed to connect to the Veeam Cloud Connect service"). Based on some previous comments, why would Veeam be trying to connect to the VCC server during the merge?

Can you please elaborate on exactly what you did on the VCC/Provider side? Did you simply create another VCC server? How does that help? And would a provider side Veeam Proxy VM help?

Like the previous poster, we never have issues during the backups themselves, only during the merge process. Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

why would Veeam be trying to connect to the VCC server during the merge?
Retention (and merge) it's a part of actual backup process, backup job takes the backup and then perform retention according to the set value.
Can you please elaborate on exactly what you did on the VCC/Provider side?
From what I read another dedicated gateway server was created to serve the connection for agent jobs.
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 25 times

Re: Full Backup merge failed due to Service Provider connection

Post by andre.simard »

Hi,

Same error here, merge are failling with : A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time....

I understand that the original poster fix his issue by adding a second VCC Gateway, but i would like to know why excacly do we need to add another gateway and if it a veeam requirement.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Still seems like connectivity issue between tenant and cloud gateway. Might be worth checking whether tenant can reach the given gateway, and opening a ticket with our support team in case it cannot. Thanks!
andre.simard
Service Provider

Post by andre.simard »

Maybe it was just a one time error because subsequant backup work, but since this error, merge are always failing with:

Code: Select all

Failed to merge full backup file Error: Point with id '4edad80d-e704-4165-83ec-4691e9621c72' not found  
 Failed to generate points Error: Point with id '4edad80d-e704-4165-83ec-4691e9621c72' not found  
 Failed to compact full backup file Error: Point with id '4edad80d-e704-4165-83ec-4691e9621c72' not found  
case#03252458
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The last time we saw similar issue was more than a year ago. Certainly it's sort of problem that needs to be handled directly by support team. So, I thank you for opening a ticket and sharing its number here. Thanks!
andre.simard
Service Provider

Post by andre.simard »

Hi just a update here.

Client got the same issue on 3 separate backup jobs on different days. When GFS kicks he got the error: Failed to connect to the Veeam Cloud Connect service during the GFS and after that every time the jobs run he got the error: Failed to merge full backup file Error

We have delete, recreate and ressend all the jobs and we will see if it is working when the job reach the GFS schedule.