Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: RH

Health Check

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

when I configure a Backup Job for a windows computer managed by the agent, I can't configure a periodic health check of the backup files. Is there any other way to do this?

Perhaps, I can change the job settings to managed by backup server, but I'm not sure if this is the correct option for our network. The server with the installed agent is connected via stable MPLS-connection (8 MBit/s) to the backup server, what is the recommendation for managed by backup server?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Health Check

Post by Dima P. »

Hi redhorse,

Standalone windows agent does not have health check feature yet, so when you configure managed by agent job it’s not possible to use it. However, in managed by server job (since this job is completely controlled by Veeam B&R) it is possible to use this option.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Hi Dima,

what are the requirements for jobs managed by server in regard to bandwith and connection quality?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Agent managed by backup server should have a direct connection with Veeam B&R. Regarding bandwidth - bigger the better.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Dima P. wrote:Agent managed by backup server should have a direct connection with Veeam B&R. Regarding bandwidth - bigger the better.
Direkt means it should be on the same site? Bigger the better is a little bit vague for me ;)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

redhorse wrote: Direkt means it should be on the same site? Bigger the better is a little bit vague for me ;)
Yup.
redhorse wrote: Bigger the better is a little bit vague for me ;)
Agent backups are transferred to the repository over network, so network could be potential bottleneck.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Dima P. wrote:Agent backups are transferred to the repository over network, so network could be potential bottleneck.
Sorry, perhaps I am too stupid to understand it or it's just a misunderstanding ;)

So, my network looks like this:

Veeam Backup Server -> 8 MBit/s MPLS-Connection (stable) -> Server with Veeam Agent for Windows -> 1 GBit/s -> Backup Repository

There is a fast direct connection between the agent and the repository, therefore the necessary roles are installed on that remote server (gateway, transport, whatever is needed). So, in this situation, what is the difference between managed by backup server and managed by agent in regard to bandwith? As I understood from the manual it's just important to have a stable connection to the backup server to be sure that the backup is working but the traffic won't pass the backup server. I hope my situation is clear now.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Does anybody know how it works? Otherwise I can open a support ticket.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

In managed by backup server mode backup process will be initiated by backup server (backup server controls job schedule). The job stats are updated instantly and you can start/stop backup activity from backup server. Backup agent on the host will operate without UI and local database. It’s recommended for mission critical servers (or failover clusters).

Managed by agent mode creates an agent job configuration and applies it to fully functional agent (with read only UI and database). Backup process is controlled by agent instead of backup server, thus contact connection to backup server is not required. With this mode stats are updated periodically and you cannot start/stop backup activity via Veeam B&R console. It's recommended for workstations and servers without stable connection to backup server.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Dima P. wrote:In managed by backup server mode backup process will be initiated by backup server (backup server controls job schedule). The job stats are updated instantly and you can start/stop backup activity from backup server. Backup agent on the host will operate without UI and local database. It’s recommended for mission critical servers (or failover clusters).
So, it's a requirement for stability of the connection between the backup server and the backup agent, the performance of the connection is not important. What happens if the connection is broken during the backup e.g. for a minute? As I need to do a periodic health check I have to choose the managed by backup server mode, but the agent is located on the remote site.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

redhorse,

It should be fine. We can continue backup process if it was a temporary network lag. In addition, we have a retry logic for backup job (can be customized at the schedule step of the job wizard).
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Thanks, Dima!