Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
stevezemlicka
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Zemlicka

Notification Strategy

Post by stevezemlicka »

I need a new notification strategy. We have a Hyper-V cluster, several server agents, and many desktop agents. I am inundated with failure notices on a daily basis and really need to reduce the noise but keep notifications on for relevant issues. Since our Hyper-V servers are all local and always online, this is not an issue. The issue is on both the Server Agents and Workstation Agents.

On the server side, we have a few servers that run over low-quality connections. Typically they fail once but complete successfully on the second attempt. How do I configure veeam to ignore the failures when there are retries available and only notify me if the job ultimately fails for the evening?

Likewise on the workstation side, systems are obviously not all online at the scheduled backup interval so I get several different failure notices (some only containing a few machines indicating that no new hosts were found and others just saying that several machines didn't run the backup at the scheduled time). Additionally, there appears to be no place in the workstation job to configure notices. Rather, it seems to use the system settings. How do I turn off or better configure the workstation notifications?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Notification Strategy

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stephen,
How do I configure veeam to ignore the failures when there are retries available and only notify me if the job ultimately fails for the evening?
For managed by backup server job type there should be an option to suppress notification till last retry. Will it work for your case?
Additionally, there appears to be no place in the workstation job to configure notices. Rather, it seems to use the system settings. How do I turn off or better configure the workstation notifications?
That's true. Managed by agent job type does not have granular email notification options and it generates daily report based on global notification settings. However, we plan to provide granular notification option in the upcoming update.