Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
paulrogero
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul

[Feature Request] On Demand Agent Backup

Post by paulrogero »

I have a policy job with a number of workstations in the job. I'd like the ability to back up a single machine on-demand from the VB&R console, rather than having to RDP into the machine and kicking off a backup from the local machine.

It would be really nice to be able to right click on an agent in the VB&R console and select "Backup Now".

This can't be done currently, correct?
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: [Feature Request] On Demand Agent Backup

Post by MichaelCade »

I believe this can be done if I reading correctly - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
paulrogero
Novice

Post by paulrogero »

Hi Michael,

I don't see "Quick Backup" in my menu. Perhaps that is only available to "Server" agents?

Paul
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Post by MichaelCade »

I dont believe this should matter,

Quick backup can be performed for computers that meet the following requirements:

A protected computer is added to a Veeam Agent backup job managed by the backup server.

A full backup file for the protected computer exists on the backup repository configured in the backup infrastructure.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
paulrogero
Novice

Post by paulrogero »

In my case, the backup job mode is "Managed by agent". It seems 'Quick Backup' is not possible in this mode.

So I suppose my feature request is to make 'Quick Backup' available against machines in which the job mode is 'Managed by Agent'.
martin_zidu
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Martin Zidu

Post by martin_zidu »

Hi There,

it´s obvious, that "quick backup" on demand, can be initiated only for Server jobs.

Actually it´s a matter of job settings in VB&R and also license itself.

If you would like to executing jobs from VB&R, you will need to create "server job" and insert there workstations...this is possible by my opinion...problem is, that every agent deployed server machine is consuming 3 workstation licenses....so, at the end it´s up to you...maybe make sense for some machines, but not sure if for all of them.

So every workstation you would like to manage by VB&R (quick backup) will consume 3 standard agent licenses.
paulrogero
Novice

Post by paulrogero »

There are many differences between the server and workstation license around available capabilities such as 'Application Aware Processing', 'Log Truncation', 'CBT Driver', and others that clearly separate the two licenses from each other. However, each license can communicate with the backup agent in near real time. For instance, in the 'Managed by Agent' machines, it is easy to right click on the machine and choose 'Agent' => 'Reboot' to have the machine rebooted in a few seconds.

So I am requesting that 'Run Backup' or something similar be added to the menu for machines assigned to jobs which are managed by the agent. It seems technically possible since I am able to reboot a machine through the agent in a few seconds.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to have this feature for both license types since it makes on-demand backup of a workstation much easier than getting into a workstation and kicking off a backup manually. For those people who need all the advanced features of the server license, the server license would still be the license to buy. But it's a frustrating limitation in the workstation license to just initiate a simple backup.