Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
JamesMcG
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: James McGuinness

Permissions for Agent

Post by JamesMcG »

I'm trying to figure out what permissions the Agent requires for SMB targets. Situation is this; I have a folder restricted to a specific user only, with security rights inheritance disabled. I share the folder, to that specific user only and the share is 'hidden' ($). I can browse the folder without issue from the source worksation, read/write/delete all fine. Pop it into the Agent and...Access denied, and can't populate the destination.

This started happening when ver 3 was installed, this wasn't and issue with 1.7 and 2. So what changed? What permissions/creds is the Agent sending?!
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Permissions for Agent

Post by ejenner »

Are you sure this isn't something like the account used for Veeam being locked out on the domain controller?

Easy to check I suppose, you could try using credentials you know are valid, the specific user you mentioned.
JamesMcG
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: James McGuinness

Post by JamesMcG »

Yes I'm sure. As I said if I browse the exact path from the run line and test read/write/del it's all fine. I re-produce the problem with a different PC and user account as well.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello James,

Nothing was changed in agent authentication logic. To double check: can you confirm that this specific account (the one that is set in the agent job settings) can login to the mentioned file share from the affected machine? Can you start recovery via agent from any restore point on your file share? Thank you in advance!