Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
sixarm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Roberts

Physical Oracle Server - Script to copy/move redo logs

Post by sixarm »

Hi there,

We have a physical Oracle server with a Windows Agent installed and using VBR 9.5 U3 to manage a full backup job once per day. We have a script on the server that runs every 15 minutes via a scheduled task to copy/move these redo logs to a second Oracle server that is configured as a standby.

What I'm looking to achieve is to bring the log management of the primary Oracle server full into Veeam, with the logs being backed up every 15 minutes, which I can achieve via the Guest Processing. What I'm not sure on if how we'd continue the copy of these logs to the secondary server.

Question: Can I use the scripts section (post-thaw) to fire this script every 15 minutes as per the logs being backed up, or is this script section only used for the primary backup job that runs once per day?

If I'm missing anything, please let me know.

Cheers!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Physical Oracle Server - Script to copy/move redo logs

Post by PTide »

Hi,
is this script section only used for the primary backup job that runs once per day?
Correct, the scripts work only for the primary backup job. What are your Oracle processing settings?

Thanks
sixarm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Roberts

Post by sixarm »

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case.

I've got the Oracle processing settings configured as follows:

Delete logs over: 100GB
Backup logs every: 15 minutes
Retain log backups: Until the corresponding image-level backup is deleted.

In addition, the job itself is set as follows:

Retention points to keep on disk: 7
Daily at this time: 20:00 - Everyday
Create synthetic full backup every: Saturday

Am I right in thinking that the deletion of logs above 100GB only occurs during the backup at 20:00 each day?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Deletion of logs above 100GB only occurs during the backup at 20:00 each day?
With that setting in place the most recent 100GB stay intact, which should be enough for your script to copy the new pieces of log to the remote location. Log clean up occurs after log shipping child job finishes copying. If the primary job does not manage to back up the Oracle VM, the logs will remain untouched on machine until the next restore point is successfully created.

Thanks