Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Preventing Automatic Agent Updates

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

My Protection Groups <which include only physical servers> are configured with the following settings: "Install backup agent automatically", "Auto-update backup agent", and "Install changed block tracking driver". Because the discovery job runs nightly, I re-run it right after upgrading Veeam B&R so I can control when the reboot occurs <the server the agent runs on must reboot due to the CBT driver update>.

I would like to separate the timeframe for Veeam B&R upgrades and agent upgrades. To do this, I believe all I need to do is uncheck "Auto-update backup agent". That way, when the nightly discovery job runs, it won't try to upgrade the agent after a Veeam B&R upgrade. I can manually run the agent upgrade later. My intent is to leave "Install backup agent automatically" and "Install changed block tracking driver" checked.

My concern/question is this: will leaving "install changed block tracking driver" checked cause the CBT to update independently of the agent? However, if I uncheck it, will the discovery job then try to uninstall the CBT driver that is already there? I don't want to test this because if I accidentally create a required reboot situation, some of the servers in question are very difficult to schedule and we could end up without backups for days.

Would appreciate any advice or insight!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Preventing Automatic Agent Updates

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
if you remove the "auto-update backup agent" checkbox, then it will not update the agent or the CBT driver. And unchecking the checkboxes will not remove anything. The checkbox is about installation. "uninstall" is extra functionality in the context menu of each computer in a protection group.

Best regards,
Hannes
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Re: Preventing Automatic Agent Updates

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

HI @HannesK and thank you very much! I have removed "auto-update backup agent" and everything is working as expected. Thank you for the tip!