Discussions specific to managed agent-based backups
segfault
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: John Garner

Proxy Servers for Agent Backups

Post by segfault » Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm

For virtual infrastructure based systems I can specify the proxy server to pull the data from the virtual platform, is there an equivalent for physical servers?

We have a physical server we would like to backup. However, we see the following error:
3/5/2019 10:39:49 PM :: Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.XX.XX.XX:2502

The IP listed above is that of our repository that is on an fire-walled network that we in no way ever want to expose to our running servers. So it makes sense that the physical host and repository can't communicate. This is by design.

Is there a way to setup a gateway server or proxy server that we can funnel all of the physical agent backups through? I see documentation on how to do this for virtual based targets but nothing for physical targets. We can't even find a location to specify a guest interaction proxy the way we can with the VMWare Backup targets.

Thanks,

--john

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 858 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Proxy Servers for Agent Backups

Post by Dima P. » Mar 07, 2019 12:40 am

Hello John,

Agent require direct connection with the repository (or gateway server). Have you looked into Veeam Cloud Connect as a possible option? Thanks!

segfault
Enthusiast

Post by segfault » Mar 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Are there any plans to remove this limitation in a future release?

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

John,

May I ask if you would like to use proxies for agent to speed up data transfer over network or mainly because of the issue described above (i.e. to let agents connect to Veeam repository over specified server)? Thanks!

rreich
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rick Reich

Post by rreich » Mar 13, 2019 5:43 pm

I'd would like this feature as well to utilize SAN storage, mainly for StoreOnce catalyst stores.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Mar 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Hello Rick,

Would it be enough to let agents backup to StoreOnce Catalyst store via gateway server (like in vm backup jobs)? Thank you!

rreich
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rick Reich

Post by rreich » Mar 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Dima,

Yes, that would work as well since the Proxy and Gateway roles can be on the same server. I apologize, I didn't intend to hijack segfault's post. Their request appeared to be similar to mine.

segfault
Enthusiast

Post by segfault » Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Dima P. wrote:
Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm
May I ask if you would like to use proxies for agent to speed up data transfer over network or mainly because of the issue described above (i.e. to let agents connect to Veeam repository over specified server)? Thanks!
I see it as more of a security goal of ours: we like to protect the repos from direct contact with the servers that they are backing up. I hope to be able completely block any traffic between our storage/backup/management network from the production server network in the near future.

With the virtual side of the house we can do this via proxy servers (both for guest interaction and data moving) or having the data pulled directly from the SAN. We can't do this on the physical side.

--john

segfault
Enthusiast

Post by segfault » Mar 15, 2019 6:25 pm 1 person likes this post

Just as a follow up, this is also one of Veeam's best practices to isolate the backup network. See the recent discussion at veeam-backup-replication-f2/security-us ... 57953.html