Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
awsbackups01
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: jesse ramos

Rename machine hostname upon restore

Post by awsbackups01 »

i'm backing up a windows server 2016 vmware machine and restoring onto aws as an EC2 using veeam BR community edition. everything works great except i would like the machine to be renamed before the ec2 instance is spun up. is there any setting either on the veeam agent or BR to give it a new hostname?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Rename machine hostname upon restore

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, the wizard asks you during restore for the new hostname - or I misunderstood your question :-)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Best regards,
Hannes
awsbackups01
Novice

Post by awsbackups01 »

Hannes, thanks for replying. i also thought that setting would do it. but that only renames the EC2 instance not the actual windows server hostname.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Ah, inside the VM... well, that could have unexpected consequences... so doing that can be an issue in some situations.

For example domain membership becomes an issue. Also software products which use the hostname will stop working if we would change the Windows hostname.
awsbackups01
Novice

Post by awsbackups01 »

in my case, domain membership and software products won't be in an issue with the name change. i was more concerned about DNS. however, i think i'm going to have to restore to ec2 in a different vpc, rename the windows hostname, then create an AMI and redeploy to the correct vpc. it's a round-about way of accomplishing it but this is only a one-time engagement