Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

This functionality requires paid Veeam Agent license installed

Post by Iain_Green »

Hi,

testing update 3 and noticed once I deployed agents and set up a job it would fail with the follwoing:
19/12/2017 09:50:03 :: Error: This functionality requires paid Veeam Agent license installed
I have added a trail licsense and the job is working. However all I have read it would suggest that I should be able to deploy and backup using agents with no cost. The cost relates to support that would be provided?
What function is requiring a licsense?

I have deployed 6 agents to 6 servers, backup is configured with defualt settings.
Many thanks

Iain Green
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Re: Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 update 3 features

Post by ferrus »

Does it need a new trial license downloaded - based around the new release?

Interested, as I just downloaded a trial for our first physical Linux server yesterday, before I knew U3 was to be released.
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

Update 3 was downloaded today and the trail license was downloaded today.
I am unsure as to the "feature" it is quoting?
Many thanks

Iain Green
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Iain_Green wrote:The cost relates to support that would be provided? What function is requiring a licsense?
Centralized management capabilities that we started to introduce back in Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 have always been limited to licensed agents only. Using Configuration API, you could manage you licensed agents through 3rd party software distribution tools. Then, we added agent management into Veeam Availability Console, also for licensed agents only. With Update 3, we're adding the ability to manage licensed agents with Veeam Backup & Replication.

As far as what function requires what license, please refer to this edition comparison for Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows.

P.S. I will split the last few posts and move them into the dedicated subforum soon.
Chris-DE
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian Scherwinsky

Post by Chris-DE »

Hi Gostev,

Yeah, the Point about managing with B&R was added on 15.12 in Comparison Sheet, nobody asked for Third Party API.
I was happy about the release, but soon got to face the fact that Central Managing is requiring licensed Hosts.

I understand companies selling strategy but was also a little disappointed about this - also some customers, since anticipation was huge.
Maybe wasn´t clearly clarified enough in the announcement(s).

But it´s ok. Won´t complain about a great Feature which is for free :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Chris-DE wrote:Yeah, the Point about managing with B&R was added on 15.12 in Comparison Sheet, nobody asked for Third Party API.
Actually, I meant the previous bullet, before the new one you are referring to - called "Configuration API". This bullet was in the edition comparison document since Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0. And in all the announcements, centralized management was always messaged as paid-only feature. Here's an example:
Last but not least, as noted above, paid editions will provide remote configuration and management API for Veeam Availability Console, as well as the framework for mass deployment and configuration of agents.
I am not being defensive, just trying to show that we have always been very transparent that centralized management will be limited to paid agents. And this (plus 24/7 support) actually makes it a perfect watershed between personal/small business use, and enterprise use. Thanks to that, we are able to keep free edition of our agents almost fully functional - even with the ability to backup to Veeam repository - you just need to deploy and control them using local UI, which is perfectly fine for when you only have a handful of computers to protect.
Chris-DE
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian Scherwinsky

Re: This functionality requires paid Veeam Agent license ins

Post by Chris-DE » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gostev,

No Offense. I´m with you.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Post by danswartz »

The PDF describing the differences in editions is kinda misleading though. It says 'Centralized Management' describing 'automatically deploy and configure veeam agent for linux...' and has a checkmark in the Free Agent column. It may be true that you can do this, but if you can't execute the job, it's kinda pointless, no?
O1982
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Owen Thompson

Post by O1982 »

There are alot of things that are misleading in their marketing materials. For one: anytime it says "Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud". It's wrong. Veeam Backup and Recovery does NOT offer "Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud. Veeam Backup and Recovery with other paid licenses DOES.

I have to say I was really angry about this. I just spend THOUSANDS of euros on this and now it's asking for more money. Are you kidding? When I see "Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud" on pretty much every single Veeam web page, manual etc I EXPECT IT TO DO IT natively; out of the box.

I expect this has been the case for lots of customers. Not cool.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the forums O1982.
O1982 wrote:"Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud". It's wrong. Veeam Backup and Recovery does NOT offer "Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud.
Can you please clarify what specific functionality you were looking for?
O1982 wrote:Veeam Backup and Recovery with other paid licenses DOES.
Two additional licenses can be installed in Veeam B&R console: license with Veeam Agent for Windows and Veeam Agent for Linux. These licenses contain agent counters to enabled the agent management functionality in Veeam B&R console but it’s not required. You can use free standalone agent in conjunction with Veeam B&R console.
O1982 wrote:I just spend THOUSANDS of euros on this and now it's asking for more money. Are you kidding?
What license did you get? Maybe there was some misunderstanding regarding your infrastructure requirements? I am sure this problem can be resolved if you contact your sales representative.
O1982
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Owen Thompson

Post by O1982 »

Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the slow reply - had vacation. Please see my replies under your answers.
Dima P. wrote:Hello and welcome to the forums O1982.
O1982 wrote:"Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud". It's wrong. Veeam Backup and Recovery does NOT offer "Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud.
Can you please clarify what specific functionality you were looking for?

"Availability for ALL workloads — virtual, physical and cloud" paints a picture of a "one stop shop" for backing up everything. Even if you pay for the enterprise plus version you cannot create or manage backups of physical machines without a paid agent. This is what I found surprising and disappointing. You also can not push the agent to physical clients as then thinks you should be using agent licenses. You have to go to the machine uninstall and re-install manually and setup the backup to go to the VBR Repository.
O1982 wrote:Veeam Backup and Recovery with other paid licenses DOES.
Two additional licenses can be installed in Veeam B&R console: license with Veeam Agent for Windows and Veeam Agent for Linux. These licenses contain agent counters to enabled the agent management functionality in Veeam B&R console but it’s not required. You can use free standalone agent in conjunction with Veeam B&R console.

Well not really - it just acts as storage point/NAS, UNLESS you go and spend more money on Agent licenses!
O1982 wrote:I just spend THOUSANDS of euros on this and now it's asking for more money. Are you kidding?
What license did you get? Maybe there was some misunderstanding regarding your infrastructure requirements? I am sure this problem can be resolved if you contact your sales representative.[/quote]

I paid for the Enterprise version. I did not go through a sales rep, I bought direct from a online retailer - oh you mean solved by buying the agent licenses?! Thanks but it's too late for that. If maybe the marketing material was a bit more...forthcoming with that information then maybe I could have planned for it.