Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ChristopheC
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager agents licensing

Post by ChristopheC »

Hello,

We have an Enterprise Manager server managing VBR servers.
We first tested it with an evaluation license which included Agent for Windows and Agent for Linux.
We then purchased a license for VBR and not for the agents.
We have now warnings in the enterprise manager web console and in the VBR console regarding those agents licensing.
We do not use agents now but we will probably use the Agent for Windows in the future.

I found the following documentation article which would probably solve my issue:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

In my understanding if I run the two following commands it should suppress the warnings:

Code: Select all

Veeam.Backup.EnterpriseService.exe -removelicense vaw
Veeam.Backup.EnterpriseService.exe -removelicense val
Is this a reversible process?
How would I add the Agent for Windows license I will purchase in the future?
gorka
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Gorka Izquierdo Bizkarrondo

Re: Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager agents licensing

Post by gorka »

Hi ChristopheC

You can uninstall the agents' licenses without problems, if in the future you decide to buy the licenses of the agents and add them to the Veeam Backup server, you will not have any problem.
you install the licenses from the same menu where you install the Veeam Backup license.
https://i2.wp.com/aprendiendoavirtualiz ... .png?ssl=1

Regards
ChristopheC
Novice

Post by ChristopheC »

First of all thanks for your answer.
I think that the screenshot you posted is from Veeam Backup & Replication; my question is related to Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager.
In Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager there is an "Install License" button in both the "Backup & Replication" and "Agent for Windows" tab:

I assume that the behaviour you describe also applies to VBEM, can someone confirm this?

Regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The mentioned commands should remove the license from EM manager. Did you stop Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Service before executing the command line?
ChristopheC
Novice

Post by ChristopheC »

Hello,
I did not run the command yet. I'm aware that the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Service has to be stopped before running the commands.
My question is: Will I be able to add agent licenses back afterwards? And if yes how would I achieve that?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

ChristopheC wrote:Will I be able to add agent licenses back afterwards? And if yes how would I achieve that?
This commandline erases the existing license but does not block the ability to add new license via the same Enterprise Manager tab. If you already have an agent license, then you can add it to EM and it would overwrite existing exprired license.
ChristopheC
Novice

Post by ChristopheC »

Thanks for confirming that.
Jeff M
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeffrey Michael James
Location: Texas Tech Univ. TOSM Computer Center, 8th Street & Boston Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-3051

[MERGED] Agent License Expired notification when starting B&

Post by Jeff M »

When starting B&R console I get notification (Your Veeam Agent for Windows license has expired, and your grace period is over. Managed Workstations and Servers will no longer be processed. To continue using the product, obtain a new license.) This is not an issue but more an annoyance so I have not created a case but I have tried everything to remove including KB ID: 2319, KB ID: 2235 with no luck. We are using BEM and I even tried removing all licenses from BEM and re-applying previous license. Do I need to open a support case or is this something simple I am overlooking?
Jeff M
Data Center Operations
Technology Operations & Systems Management
Texas Tech University System
jeff.james@ttu.edu
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jeff.

In case of Enterprise Manager expired license should be removed from Enterprise Manager console. Try the solution described in this thread and let me know how it goes. Thank you.
Jeff M
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeffrey Michael James
Location: Texas Tech Univ. TOSM Computer Center, 8th Street & Boston Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-3051

Post by Jeff M »

Yes worked this time. I was restarting service after I ran, not stopping service running command then restarting.

Thank You,

Jeff
Jeff M
Data Center Operations
Technology Operations & Systems Management
Texas Tech University System
jeff.james@ttu.edu