Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
bubba1983
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Boudreau

Veeam physical agent issue

Post by bubba1983 »

Hi,
We currently use Veeam backup and replication for our VMware infrastructure at head office. We have a bunch of physical servers in all our branch office locations. I am currently in the process of testing Veeam windows physical agent by centralizing the controls using the Veeam Backup and Replication server. I cannot choose manage by server because all the backups for each physical server has to be backed up to a local external hard drive which if I choose manage by server, it will go back to head office repository then back down to the branch office and save the data to the local server external hard drive. If we choose the manage by agent, the issue is that when the backup is completed you do not get an email notification saying it was successful or failed nor do you have an option to verify the backup.

Because of these issues, in my opinion there seems to be a disconnect in this product. If I use backup exec, it backs up to the external hard drive and when it is completed you can do a verify on the backup to make sure there is no corruption.

Is there currently any work around for these issues I posted above or is there anything in the near future that will address these issues?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam physical agent issue

Post by Dima P. »

Hello bubba1983.
bubba1983 wrote:Hi,
I cannot choose manage by server because all the backups for each physical server has to be backed up to a local external hard drive which if I choose manage by server, it will go back to head office repository then back down to the branch office and save the data to the local server external hard drive.
If it's possible you can configure repository at the secondary site and connect it to Veeam B&R server (USB drive can be added to such repository as a rotated media). Agents can backup directly to such repository (but some connection to the VBR is still required due to management traffic).
bubba1983 wrote:If we choose the manage by agent, the issue is that when the backup is completed you do not get an email notification saying it was successful or failed nor do you have an option to verify the backup.
Email reports for managed by agent jobs are generated daily. Basically, email report contains last job run information across all agents under specific managed by agent job.