Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jac2019
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jorge Canusso

Where install B&R Community Edition

Post by jac2019 »

I have multiple scenarios from my customers.
One of them has just one Physical server with AD and SQL Server. Should I install Free B&R Community Edition in another machine, or is it fine to install it in the same one?
Another customer has Physical (with a LTO5 connected to it) and an ESXi Host. In this case, where should I install B&R Community Edition?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Re: Where install B&R Community Edition

Post by Gostev »

From Veeam perspective, there's complete flexibility where to install backup server as long as the cumulative system requirements for the backup server and for all other roles the given server will run are met.
jac2019 wrote: Sep 22, 2019 4:03 am I have multiple scenarios from my customers.
One of them...
Another customer...
This is actually a much bigger issue. Unfortunately, Veeam EULA specifically prohibits using Community Edition (CE) to provide any type of services to 3rd parties. So, you cannot use CE at your clients at all.
jac2019 wrote: Sep 22, 2019 4:03 amShould *I* install Free B&R Community Edition in another machine, or is it fine to install it in the same one?
The EULA restriction covers installation and configuration services, too. Meaning, you actually can NOT be deploying CE at your customer environments as a consultant or contractor, even if you provide this service at no cost. Basically, making any interaction with CE in a 3rd party environment immediately violates EULA, as this is not an intended use of this offering.

The correct way to do what you're trying to do is to register as a managed service provider with Veeam, and deploy backup servers licensed with rental licensing (special type of licensing that allows for providing Veeam-powered services to 3rd parties).
jac2019
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jorge Canusso

Post by jac2019 »

Thank you very much for your answer and assistance.
To clarify, I develop my work at my customer’s office, where I make infrastructure suggestions, such as Software, Hardware, LAN and communications. In some cases, this includes helping when installing software like Veeam or other applications.
When I said different scenarios, I refered to these installations, but to be clear I don’t sell or rent any kind of services over 3rd parties applications or hardware products.
I asked this question only to let my clients know how should they proceed when installing Veeam. In any case, I’ll wait for your response to see if this still doesn’t comply with the EULA
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6693 times

Post by Gostev »

jac2019 wrote: Sep 23, 2019 12:14 amat my customer’s office ... this includes helping when installing software like Veeam
Actually, I covered this scenario specifically in my previous post: installing Community Edition in 3rd party environments is against Veeam EULA. Basically, your customers must install, configure and manage Community Edition themselves. As soon as you're involved in any way at all, you're providing them a service around Community Edition - which is restricted by Veeam EULA.