Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Windows agent backing on Exchange Server - tweaking

Post by jamcool »

We are trying to do a proof of concept to see if Veeam can replace our existing Microsoft DPM product for Exchange backups. I have run into some minor feature things missing that DPM offers, but the one I am dealing now is slow performance backing up and can be a show stopper. The Exchange server is physical and has the 3.0.1.x agent on it (we are looking to upgrade to 3.0.2 soon as we are now on VBR 9.5 update 4b). The Exchange server is new and very robust and have never seen it get even moderately busy.

This is our first attempt to backup Exchange so these speeds we are seeing maybe normal but when I check the Exchange server it not near busy (CPU, memory, disk I/O or network). Below are the numbers from the job. We do not have any throttling on. Each disk backed up seems to be around same amount time so I do not have like a single busy disk. We do backup about 1,000 VMs a day (no application) so I know what to expect from there for performance but this seems slow and I cannot have backups taking more than a day. Just looking for any known changes that can be done on agent or elsewhere to speed up backups with Exchange when the Exchange server has so many available resources and neither repository or network is busy.Exchange is 2016. Exchange DB are on SSD and 10K RPM disk formatted with REFS.I am no the Exchange admin so I may not be using the correct Exchange terms. :). We are opening a case but wanted to get some feedback from users and their experience as well.

Total size 30 TB
Data Read 20 TB
Backup time : just under 30 hour
Repository local storage using large 12TB 7200 RPM disks and network between server and repository is 10 Gbps (never seems to get be more than 1.5 Gbps and most of time near 100 Mbps on Exchange server).
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Windows agent backing on Exchange Server - tweaking

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to verify because you also mention VMs: is your Exchange server a VM or a physical machine?

It's a single Exchange server? How many volumes (c:\ D:\ E:\... )does the exchange have? You are doing backup of "entire system"? You installed the CBT driver?

How long did the incremental backup take?

In general, your speed does not look high (less than 200MByte/s), so asking support for help for a bottleneck analysis is a "must have". Please post the case number here for reference.

Best regards,
Hannes