Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dbibb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derik Bibb

Backup to Tape Fails

Post by dbibb »

Hi,
I have a ticket open with Veeam (Case 00514136), but I thought I'd post here as well, as the answer doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Every night I run a backup to disk job (to a QNAP NAS), and then I want to take the full backup file and write it to tape.

The backup to disk works fine, but when the tape job starts it immediately fails. It seemingly fails before it even has time to initialize anything. If I start the job again it always fails the second time - same thing, failing immediately after hitting start. However, if I start the job a third time it works! It writes to tape for a few hours then finishes successfully.

The error message is: "Unable to backup: The specified network name is no longer available" I find this odd, as for the two hours prior to this job Veeam is busy writing to this NAS, and has no problem doing so.

Some of the things I've tried:
-Backing up to a different NAS
-Delaying the Backup to Tape job to start long after the previous job finished, instead of directly after
-Rebooting the server and the tape drive
-Updating the tape drive drivers to the latest (HP LTO-5 SAS drive)

Has anyone else ever seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks
dbibb
Novice

Re: Backup to Tape Fails

Post by dbibb »

I've also updated to the latest version of Veeam - 7.0.0.833
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So, you're saying that it's more about number of retries rather than time between them, right? In other words, no matter what are the intervals between the retries, tape job starts working only on third one.

Thanks.
dbibb
Novice

Post by dbibb »

Vladimir,
The number of tries does seem to matter more than the time between them. Usually the job will fail, then 10 or 15 minutes later I will remote in and hit start again. This fails. Then just a few moments later I will hit start again and the backup will start and complete normally.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hmmm, this looks strange, indeed. I've passed this information to the QA team; may be they can shed a light on it after analyzing corresponding logs. Thanks.
dbibb
Novice

Post by dbibb »

Thanks Vladimir. There should be plenty of logs uploaded with the case.