Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lucaam
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Luca Alunno Minciotti

Vipre Business Premium Issue

Post by lucaam »

Hi Everyone!
I'm in trouble with Veeam Backup 6.5 - 7.0 and Vipre Business Premium Antivirus, i'll try posting on forums to know if someone else experiencing same problem:

Found out that this antivirus is sloooowing down Veeam Backup, exactly the Transport role(veeamagent.exe), even with all kind of exclusion set up on antivirus agent, the read process on source datastore is really slowed down(512Kb/s). The only way to get backup work properly is shutting down antivirus agent.
I have supported ticket open with Veeam and Antivirus Vendor, but seems hard to find a solution;
The biggest problem is that customer using existing windows virtual machine as veeam backup server, and removing antivirus from production machine is not a good idea..

Looking forward, any kind of ideas are welcome! :)

Luca
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Vipre Business Premium Issue

Post by foggy »

Luca, have you tried to disable Anti-intrusion protection and/or Active Protection features? Also, not sure whether this is applicable, but the customer could fire up an additional system just for the proxy server role, which would not require antivirus to be installed.
lucaam
Influencer

Post by lucaam »

Hi Foggy,
Thanks for suggestion, i'll check if is possible to disable anti intrusion only, i'm also thinking this could be the issue, because veeamgent.exe don't seems blocked by file system scanner because it use almost no cpu, so could be anti intrusion system.
The best option is deploy another proxy, but there are licensing constraints on windows servers..
I'll check and let You Know!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Luca, what is your case ID, so we could follow up this with our QC team as well?
lucaam
Influencer

Post by lucaam »

Hi Vitality,
Case # 00523267 .
Veeam support tell me testing disable application aware processing and Guest Indexing; i'll try first disablind indexing because using vss should be better for DCs.
Investigating more on antivirus, i found a Firewall filter component driver on network card(even if firewall is disabled on management console), I suspect that all issue could be there.. Will chech with antivirus vendor this aspect and let You Know,
Thanks
lucaam
Influencer

Post by lucaam »

ok i've deployed a server core as proxy, and now backups runs in hyperboosting mode :D
I did not want to stay too playing with the antivirus, maybe will try disable the firewall filter on nic but Veeam Console is not locked at all so i'll go ahead without try other changes,
Thanks all,

Luca
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Nice solution, thanks for sharing.